Texture Face Error

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a mesh with 6 texture faces (showing the faces in picture 1)

When I texture the mesh all goes well. I want transparency on 3 of the texture faces. So I put these faces on 'alpha blending'. But as soon as I leave the edit menu, on one of the texture faces the alpha blending does not stick, but it goes back to 'none'.

I opened the dae file again in my 3D program, and exported it again. It did not change anything in the mesh, I only gave the exported dae file a different name. Now the first problem I had is gone, but there appears a different problem on another texture face. Not only the alpha blending does not stick on this face, but the whole texture dissappears, and it picks the texture of the bowl with lemons instead. This happens as soon as I pick up the object.

When this happens I start by texturing the entire mesh with the texture that I am not able to apply to the right face. Then I add the rest of the textures to the right faces. 

For example I was not able to texture the doorknob on a miniature church, so I textured the whole church witht the doorknob texture. Then I added the other textures one by one.

that may not be the problem here, but I know  if you have over a certain number of triangles you get this kind of thing. I also suspect, as with the church, it has to do with tiny triangles, since that did not have many triangles.

I've had this happen with  lamp I had created previously. When I uploaded it again I had the same problems you describe. It turned out to be due to a change in the uploader where the material names got shortened and ended up being the same for both materials used. Also try numbering your material names in your 3d software in the order they are used (e.g. 1-lemon, 2 applejuice, etc...). This prevents the uploader from swapping them.

Thanks Arton.

In the first uploads used the default names that my program gives them: mat, mat.1, mat.2, mat.3, mat.4 and mat.5.

First step while trying to repair, was that I deleted all materials from my selections. I created 6 new materials (with the same names as before) and assigned them to the selections. When I uploaded this mesh, the problem was still there.

Next thing I tried, and what solved the problem, is that I deleted the material called "mat", and I added a new one to this selection, called "mat.6".  So indeed, I had to do with the names of the materials.

But still strange, because I never renamed my materials in the past, and I have never seen this problem before.

Yes, the mesh importer can be a bit peculiar at times.

Though, perhaps the exporter of your modeling program has changed with a recent update? And it does something with the material names, that it did not before. This can be checked by opening the collada file in a text editor and searching for <library_materials> indeed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.