Problem with Mesh upload

Yoshi Bagley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

please someone can help me: 

I have some trouble to upload rigged meshes from blender v2.64 with avastar.

I am trying to rigging some ease meshes to test it on beta grid, but most time the upload failed, cause there were ugly triangles. Also I crashed many many times.. after 10 times i get 1 good upload, but the rest failed. 

I have made some photos:

Snapshot_001.pngavipictashaoktober.jpg

Snapshot_003.png

Maybe someone know the problem? I tried 3 different Viewers, the Second Life Viewer gets the best result and was the only way to upload it 2 times very fine.

But the high poly one i can't upload fine...

Thank you for any help (and sorry for my bad english).

Yoshi Bagley

It looks as if you have a vertex in the middle of your model that you meant to remove.  Look down the Z axis of your mesh and select that vertex by surrounding it (keyboard command B or C ) and then delete it.  That should take care of those extra triangles.  

From looking at your upload window . The mesh you are trying to upload does not have skin weights. If you are trying to upload a rigged mesh. Then it needs the skin weights applied to it during upload it the upload options tab. I don't even see skin weights ability in your current upload window..You should have the ability to show weights in the preview window. It is greyed out

Check the high poly model for double vertices . Doubles could be causing the strange behavior.  In edit mode, select all and then hit W and then R on your keyboard. . It should show how many doubles removed in the top bar of blender. If any. And recalculate normals  ...

But if those are supposed to be rigged. Then you more than likely have not applied the rig properly during the rigging process, because it is not even showing up for ability to show skin weights it in the preview window of your upload image in your first post

Did you use solidify modifier on the whole model?  Looking at wireframe/edit mode it appears that you did. I see double edges and verts all the way down the model. Looking at them in world, all the inside normals don't seem to all be facing the right direction if thyey are mostly invisible. ctrl-n with model selected in edit mode will recalculate normals. I would suggest not using solidify on a wearable rigged mesh. but only apply inside faces where it will be visible by other avatars.

Thank you.

yeah i did not applied the checkbox for sink weights. i opend it only for a screenshot. The result with checking the box is the same result. 

I checked for double vertices and tried in edit mode W and then R. 0 verticles removed. and i did recalculate the normals with ctrl + n.

Same effect when i want to upload the mesh.

Yes, i use a solidify modifier on the hole model for the tests. I applied it and removed edges inside the model (like you see one the one picture).

It is a bit mysterious: when i open building - upload - mesh... and choose the mesh object it tooks 3-4 seconds and then i see already the mesh with the ugly triangles. When i close the upload window and try again.. the ugly triangles are on the other sides.. like random.  And after 10 times and 5 crashes... it was possible to upload 1 correct model. 

But I think this isn't a good way.

I am not sure if this could be the issue or not. But I am wondering if the SLM files may be messing things up.

The viewer generates a SLM file to be used for an upload instead of the DAE, I had to disable the SLM because it causes me to crash on almost every upload. You might try disableing it your self. . In the viewer click on advanced (ctrl-D to enable advanced menu) then  click on debug settings. Type MeshImportUseSLM in the box and set it to FALSE and then close it.. Delete any SLM files in the folder where the DAE is.

Does it happen with all models?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.