Mesh invisible when Advanced Lighting Model active question.

Rucy Byron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I have had a couple of bloggers contact me recently to say when they wear one of my items and turn on ALM the clothing disappears, It works fine for me and most other people, but as it has cropped up twice now I thought I would see if anyone knows what the problem may be.

One of the bloggers could see half of the colours of the item fine with ALM enabled, but not the other colours, same mesh, same normal maps etc just a different colour diffuse. There are no alpha channels on any of the diffuse or normal maps.

The blogger has latest release of Firestorm, and all drivers up to date. I am confused :/

Any ideas?

Thx :)

This is probably a problem with the ATI/AMD video driver.

There are several posts about the problem in the SL Forum and a number of bloggers have reported on it.

The problem is sensitive to Preferences settings for hardware skinning and Advancted Lighting Model.

It wasn't effecting me, until I uploaded another new model today, and I turn on ALM and it went invisible for me too. I have an Nvidia GPU, a friend who was with me had the issue with the new item too, but not the ones other people where having issues with. She uses an Intel GPU. Odd how it effects some items and not others in a random fashion. Now it is effecting me it is gong to cause issues finalizing releases I have deadlines for! Urghhhhh.

Edit - Just thought i would mention, i havent changed my drivers, and this just started for me today on seleted items!

Edit - So I re-uploaded the model, didnt change any settings and now I do see it with ALM. Something happening during upload perhaps?

Has anyone else worked out what is going on with this problem?

I have found that sometimes I can see the models when worn perfectly with ALM, the next day the same model may not work, or may partially work, I can see parts of the model not other parts. I do not believe it is a bug with a certain manufacturers GPU/drivers as I have talked to people that are effected by this with different GPUs. This must be an SL bug.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem/if there are any ideas as to what is the cause? or possible solutions?

Hi ChinRey

Thx for the reply.

I don't think this is the same problem.

After some more testing it seems the issue is with Firestorm. When using the LL viewer the problem seems to be fixed with Nvidia GPU at least, using LL viewer with AMD GPU the problem persists. I plan on testing a little more and putting a JIRA into the Firestorm team if this result stays the same!

Rucy Byron wrote:

I don't think this is the same problem.

I didn't really think so either but it was worth asking if only to eliminate the possibility.

Rucy Byron wrote:

After some more testing it seems the issue is with Firestorm. When using the LL viewer the problem seems to be fixed with Nvidia GPU at least, using LL viewer with AMD GPU the problem persists. I plan on testing a little more and putting a JIRA into the Firestorm team if this result stays the same!

OK. That seems like it's not specifically an ALM problem but rather the total client load.

Firestorm is of course a considerably heavier program to run than the SL viewer, after all those extra features come at a cost. That should be cpu laod and shouldn't really affect rendering but I've noticed that I have to keep the graphics setting a little bit lower with Fs than with the SL Viewer and there are several indication that rendering capacity for SL is not jsut a question of raw gpu power.

And by all accounts Nvidia gpus are able to handle SL more efficiently than AMD.

Maybe your computer is right at the limit of its capacity and ALM isn't really the cause, only the last straw? Have you tried reducing some of the other important graphics factors? Draw distance and RenderVolLODFactor may be the two most likely ones to test here.

Edit:

Two important questions I forgot to ask is: what si the render weight of your items and are they fitted mesh?

Edit 2:

oh and a third: what is the land impact?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ChinRey

Sorry for the delay in responding, really busy at the moment.

I am sure my computer is not at full capacity, it is able to handle several 3d modelling programs and SL simultaneously. My draw distance was down to 64 as I was working on a platform, LOD factor was at 4.

To answer your other questions, the Render (Display) Weight is 2016, LI is 5 and the item is not fitted mesh.

I have had several more customers contact me with this issue over the last few days.

Thx

Rucy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.