Oh my god, Marketplace is SLOW today

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have, at this moment, 19 new items to add to my Marketplace store.  I just successfully added one of them but it took me no less than 25 minutes to get it completed!  The thing that takes the longest?  Uploading photos.  Find the photo, click upload and then wait, wait and then wait some more.  Even getting the item edit screen up is a trial.  It took me 3 minutes just to get the screen up so I COULD add text, information and the photo!

I thought...OK, for the next one I'll use "Quick Fill" and just change the revelant fields.  That just made things worse.  After 6 minutes of sitting here watching the indicator on Firefox spin with "Connecting..." in the field, I just gave up.  (By the way...6 minutes feels like an eternity when you're waitin for a web page to change)

I have a 12meg internet connection so it's not my connection, so it has to just be the weekend traffic on Marketplace. 

Just wanted to let everbody know...if you have new items to list, you might wanna wait until the overnight hours tonight or even better, Monday AM. 

Seasonal weekend reliability will cost you 10% commission, 2 Jira's and 3 support tickets. Like the 12 days of Christmas, the costs are incremental.

On a more serious note, not suprising, the Marketplace seems to have maintanance requirements that need babysitting and the babysitters are busy getting new tattoos, cycling and other activities completely unrelated to SL on the weekends.

40 hours is more than enough for you, what do you want, blood?

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Seasonal weekend reliability will cost you 10% commission, 2 Jira's and 3 support tickets. Like the 12 days of Christmas, the costs are incremental.

On a more serious note, not suprising, the Marketplace seems to have maintanance requirements that need babysitting and the babysitters are busy getting new tattoos, cycling and other activities completely unrelated to SL on the weekends.

40 hours is more than enough for you, what do you want, blood?

/me chuckles

Good response, Dartagan!  No...I don't want blood.  YUCK!  Some people might be into that sort of thing but *I* sure ain't.  I just want the Marketplace to work properly, that's all. 

I have noticed it running slower and slower over time so we ran some test.  What we saw was that their static content is coming from Amazon's cloud.  Not even Amazon.com uses their cloud for their retails site, they use an outside premium CDN service.

Their database is huge and slowing by the day.  More content in means more time to query searches and load pages.  Our testing with Gomez ranked the SL marketplace among the worst 10% in load times for e-commerce sites.

What is disconcerting is the unawareness of the importance of fast load times for sales.  Google reported that a decrease in page load times of as little as 1 second meant a decrease in sales of 25%.  Microsoft, AOL and Shopzilla also ran similar studies with near identical results.

So as we look at features, delivery errors and facebook widgets, one has to stop at some point and address perhaps the most critical of all components, speed.  However, more will complain over functionality than speed.  When a site does not load fast, the user either buys less or just moves on but rarely makes a big deal over it though the overall impact is usually far greater while less obvious.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I have noticed it running slower and slower over time so we ran some test.  What we saw was that their static content is coming from Amazon's cloud.  Not even Amazon.com uses their cloud for their retails site, they use an outside premium CDN service.

Their database is huge and slowing by the day.  More content in means more time to query searches and load pages.  Our testing with Gomez ranked the SL marketplace among the worst 10% in load times for e-commerce sites.

What is disconcerting is the unawareness of the importance of fast load times for sales.  Google reported that a decrease in page load times of as little as 1 second meant a decrease in sales of 25%.  Microsoft, AOL and Shopzilla also ran similar studies with near identical results.

So as we look at features, delivery errors and facebook widgets, one has to stop at some point and address perhaps the most critical of all components, speed.  However, more will complain over functionality than speed.  When a site does not load fast, the user either buys less or just moves on but rarely makes a big deal over it though the overall impact is usually far greater while less obvious.

Well, that explains THAT.  Thank you, Miss Chelsea for some fantastic information!  :-)

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.