Scripting cars

Jonny Kyrie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

where or how can i learn car scripting with gears i tryed the scripting book from heaton research but i does not show u gears. Is it included in the introduction or would i have to learn somwhere else. I would be on second life in the next 2 or 3 months hopefully

I'm not quite sure what "gears" you expect, but you can almost certainly simulate what you want.  The scripting to actually make your car move and handle properly is the tricky part.  Read the Linden Vehicle Tutorial to get a feel for all that's involved.   If you have never done any LSL scripting, however, I'd suggest that you start out by writing some simpler scripts until you understand LSL syntax and are familiar with the more commonly-used functions. 

all that the gear shifting in most cars does is change the value used for thrust in the lsl script.... you take control of an extra key or two and detect them in the control event, changing the thrust value used if all your conditions are met.

But yeah, look into linear motor vectors power..you want the first number in the vector <x,0,0>, the x bit, that is your power forward. Use something to change that, which can be anything that can set a variable! You then put that variable in where the x, that is at! Simple enough really.

I would also reccomend you cheeck out the Wiki's LSL portal. This was not around, the forums where a closed place for premium members or something...I had to just learn from wahtever I found and bought after driving laps for 2L at enel park way back. If you where fast, 2L in 1 minute. Crashed every several laps because it was 4 sims to cross through....yeah, it was tough. Plus, you had 20+ avatars on one sim and you drove through a tunnel to get there! Crazy stuff. Lots of time to purchase stuff that is all free on the wiki and easy to find. I only payed for it out of honest, they where giving away a mod version at a freebie place, so I payed for it becasue I learned from it...wow, old days.

Plus you can learn more about the physics vehicle stuff at the Vehicle Laboratory in world. It is shrunken from a full sim, I imagine little interest in it because vehicles have very little priority and don't work as well as in other games made for cars.

When you have tracks scanned and modelled and tire simulation models blah blah <insert goobly **bleep** about simulations here 10 times> you see hardly anyone interested in driving in SL.

If you want to see what is possible, The cars from Fizix is the height of car simulation in SL. Though, one dude will say Cubby is the best, and no other scripter is any good...oh, then someone will say Francis Chung or Les White..so, you can check out there stuff to! But, they go with what works and this guy pushes it to the max in his beta stuff I tried way back! RPM modelling, skidding based on RPM through turns while downshifting makes a really fun rally car.

I remember tying out his monster truck and brabos(damagable in varied amounts as you hit stuff) and remember way back when he had his first car, a little hatchback....I think....wow, anyway...to long ago.

Well, I must leave....sort of like how I left hanging out at when people are there and seeing all this cool stuff! Just can't stand the mobbing stuff and have nothing to give anyone...seriously. So, you get help...I don't, but at least there is one win....if you really wanted the help and was not posting for no reason but because someone told you to or it was part of you job? Not sure.

OH, another hitng though. For anyone searching needing help I guess.

Open source car scripts are in world, in a group and they don't publish them all over, for whatever reason.I would not join up and wish to see them though. I remember one guy holding his code hostage lol. He was waiting for 40, 000L or something, in sales. I remember hanging out and trying to help him a bit with that build...not that he really needed my help. He said he sold hardly any, he might have even said only one. Maybe I was the only customer! lol. Not laughing at the guy, just the whole experience of disinterest in cars in SL. Uh, yeah...I think him and 2 others where in this group and hanging out and I sort of decided not to join, not for any reason other than I was happy enough working on my own and sort of guessed I would end up alone anway, at the end of the whole experience. Ah, which reminds me...the spiral toward lonliness and avoidance of the death at the bottom continues! bye.

Go Poenald !

My experiences with vehicles are less than exciting. Some do look good however and make for interesting scenery. A well made one can give your location a key point of interest . But really, when mesh arrives, some vehicles will look seriously amazing. Sculpts make 'em look like s#It.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.