Having an Object "llDie" when it is away from a Main Build that Rezed it

Ralph Honi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have secondary objects (peripherals) that are rezed by a main build but unlinked to the main build. I am trying to write scripts to have the peripherals delete themselves when the main build is deleted or moved away. The scripts I have written here do talk with each other … however the one that lives in the peripherals always sees the “Die” option. Looks like this; [08:58] Peripheral whispers: initial check [08:58] Main Build whispers: stay_rezzed [08:58] Peripheral whispers: I will stay rezzed [08:58] Peripheral whispers: I'm going to die [08:58] Main Build whispers: stay_rezzed [08:58] Peripheral whispers: I will stay rezzed [08:58] Peripheral whispers: I'm going to die I can’t have the Main Build tell the Peripherals that it isn’t there anymore … I’m having difficulty with the logic. I have also read that “llSleep” is better than a Timer so that is why I am using that. Since the Peripherals are not linked or attached to the Avatar … I am having difficulty filtering so that only the owners objects will communicate in case there is another Main Build in the nearby area performing the same queries. I am testing by having my AV near 2 Boxes with the scripts so I can "hear" the functions. Here are the Scripts; // Lives in the Main Object // Answers when queried integer CHNL26 = 216; // DeRez objects integer CHNL27 = 217; // DeRez objects default { state_entry() { // llListen(CHNL27, "", llGetOwner(), "" ); I need to look into this ... I think I have a solution llListen(CHNL27, "", NULL_KEY, "" ); } listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message) { if(message == "checking?"); { llWhisper(CHNL26, "stay_rezzed"); llWhisper(0,"stay_rezzed"); } } } // Lives in the Peripheral Objects // Checks if the Main Build is still there // If not, then the periferals are deleted integer CHNL26 = 216; integer CHNL27 = 217; integer rezzed = FALSE; check_rez() { llWhisper(CHNL27, "checking?"); } default { state_entry() { // llListen(CHNL26, "", llGetOwner(), "" ); llListen(CHNL26, "", NULL_KEY, "" ); } on_rez(integer start_parameter) { check_rez(); // Will trigger the first Listen? llWhisper(0,"initial check"); } listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message) { if(message == "stay_rezzed") { rezzed = TRUE; llWhisper(0,"I will stay rezzed"); llSleep(3.0); rezzed = FALSE; check_rez(); } if(rezzed == FALSE) // else if(rezzed == FALSE) { llWhisper(0,"I'm going to die"); // llDie(); } } }

Oke, I can't quite make out the code you're using, but you seem to have the right idea. You're probably better off using a timer though. Also, as the wiki points out: Use a negative channel, preferably a large negative channel.

There are a few ways around the problem of having the same build nearby. If the main object rezzes the child objects, you can pass a random number to it, and use that one to communicate. You only need one channel for communication - objects cannot hear themselves anyway, they can only hear other objects.

Another way, if only "owner" is relevant, is to have a statement in the listen event like this:

listen(integer iChan, string sName, key kID, string sMessage) {    if(llGetOwnerKey(kID) == llGetOwner()) {        // This part will only execute if both objects have the same owner    }}

I'm not gonna even try to read all you put there but what you appear to refer to is in computer world called "heartbeat". There is a device periodically sending a message and there are one or more others listening. If the message is received on time or within a certain time window, everything is fine. If it is not received (usually twice or three times in a row) then listening device does something (including dying). Usually the function checking for a heartbeat in the listening device is called "watchdog". There are standard language-independent implementation methods which you can google.

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem almost:

I have built a school and i want to llRezzObject desks fror the schools inventory unlinked so avatars can sit on them:

I rezz the desks from a llDialog Menu in the school script building script

One of the options on the llDialog menu is to clear the rezzed Objects

I created a llSensorReapeat in in the prim desks thats senses when a further hidden object has been rezzed near the desks.

In the desks prim using llSensor llDies iteself  I rezz the hidden phantom tranparrent object called "Die" its a temp prim with a small script that llDies it after 10 seconds

Here is the code for prim or linked prims you want to delete that was llRezzObject from another object

Prim linked desks

{
state_entry()
{
llSensorRepeat("Die","",SCRIPTED | PASSIVE,5,PI,5.0);
}
sensor(integer num)
{

\\ you can and maybe should add an llSensorRemove(); here

llDie();
}

no_sensor()
  {
//add some debug code or sorthing else if not senced here

}
}

Here is the code for the hidden object that delets itself after so many seconds

Hidden prim Die:

{
state_entry()
{
llSleep(10.0);
llDie();
}

}

:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.