Why might some accounts have access to the new starter avatars and some not?

Kelli May

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been able to access the new avatars on one account but not another. Both accounts are of a similar age (2007 and 2008). I'm using the same viewer for both. The Library is visible in inventory and the folder structure apparently intact, but the new sub-folders don't appear. Searching for the components by name doesn't help.

@Lindal: thanks for the suggestion. I'm not using Firestorm, but I hacked the relevant files in the folders for the viewer involved. It didn't help, unfortunately. I do have premium accounts, but the one affected isn't premium so support probably won't touch it.

@Rolig: I suspected it was something like this, but deleting the relevant inv.gz file hasn't changed things, neither has manually deleting the entire cache. Note that another account that shares the same cache is not affected (happily, fiddling with cache hasn't caused it any problems, either).

eta: None of the solutions worked, imcluding a clean installation of the standard viewer. Thanks to those who tried to help, it was appreciated. After some time, the problem fixed itself and the avatars appeared.

3 answers to this question

Try clearing your inventory cache manually.  Here's the instructions:http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory

If that doesn't work, file a Support ticket with LL using the Help/Support link at the top of this page.  NOTE:  You may need to be a Premium member to get this level of support.

EDIT:  File a support ticket anyway.  If LL caused the problem when they implemented the new avatars, I'd think they would address it without forcing you to go Premium.

• Like 2

Lindal's got it, though.  It's an inventory loading issue. When Linden Lab pushed the new avatar folders out, some people's inventories apparently didn't update properly to make them visible.  We've had a couple of other people here in Answers with the same issue.   As Lindal suggests, do a clean, manual clear cache to force the servers to download a new copy of your inventory.  The new Library folders should be there.  (Fingers crossed.)

• Like 1

Kelli May wrote:

[ .... ]

@Rolig: I suspected it was something like this, but deleting the relevant inv.gz file hasn't changed things, neither has manually deleting the entire cache. Note that another account that shares the same cache is not affected (happily, fiddling with cache hasn't caused it any problems, either).

That's troubling.  I haven't heard of many people having this problem, but the advice I've heard from a friendly Linden has been to rebuild cache.  It's a local problem on your system, not in the servers apparently.  I hate to suggest a clean re-install, but maybe that's what it will take.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.