SL Recommendations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm planning on replacing my current laptop with a new desktop in the next few weeks with a middle of the line HP.

My questions include what graphics card would one recommend? The answers I've found here were outdated (some as far back as 2011).

I'm aware some have done what I am doing, buying a middle line puter and then adding their own touch to enhance the SL experience to it's fullest, maybe not ultra levels but darn close. I'm currently running in low-med low (sometimes med, depends on the sim) levels. This lappy is tired.

I'm also aware that SL has recommended system requirements, but I would like to have a insightful view before I purchase.

Any recommedations or ideas I should look for?

is my current system and if you think I get good frame rates, think again.  in busy area's. you'll still get between 12 and 20.  that's with 30m draw and no shadows.   expect lower if you have higher and shadows on in busy areas.  

none busy places.  I can typically get 70+ fps easily and that's with 128m draw and shadows. 

so my advice.  buy nvidia 970 or 980.   if somebody recommends amd, remember amd is not good for SL.  never has been.  even if they have had good results with it.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4124.99 MHz)
Memory: 32669 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 10240)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

The spec to pay attention to if you buy a middle-of-line HP desktop is the internal video card slot. It should be pci express 3.0 x16.  

The computer should have an Intel cpu and have an option to upgrade ram.

The video card to buy is the best you can afford.

The computer shouldn't have a tiny case because you need internal room to fit the video card.

I'm guessing you don't want to build your PC. You could also buy a white box pc from a local shop that builds PCs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.