Can't See LOC chat on SL viewer or Firestorm

Tyrath

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK

Here a new one on me ...... I can't see my loc chat .As in it is blank it blinks a short line when I move the bar up n down. All my pvt IMs are ok i see all of them

I cleared cashe, log in to two dif viewers ran a virus scan of my lappy clean there worked on a reload but thinking that's not going to work as it in two viewers.

Has anyone came across this one ? And if this is a bug how do i file a report?

I have not heard of a case in which someone cannot see any local chat.  I have seen a case in which a person cannot see the local chat they type.  That happens when a person accidentaly mutes themself.  

You might try the current beta viewer.  It has changes in communication that might have fixed a bug, if that is what the problem is

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

TKR 

Could you have modified something in your chat preferences, i.e. modify the time after which the local chat fades away?

chat.jpg

This applies to the chat overlay text which appears in the bottom left corner of your screen. The higher you set this, the longer the chat text will stay on the screen before fading out. If you set this too high in a very chatty area, the chat text may begin to fill the whole screen. Setting this lower will keep this from happening, but gives you less time to read it before it fades out. 

Note: You can always open your chat history window with Ctrl+H which shows the text in a scrollable window without fading.

When I scroll back up I see your friends that are logged in but when I type it is like a Got a million loc chats lines and drop all the way down so between the first thing you see (friend on line) and to the bottom it is blank.

Plus when I log in i get a missed notice stating that my "Ims have been capped " when I look in my e-mail i have no messed messages.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in the local chat window?

If you have local chat logging enabled, could you also paste any unusual-looking lines at the bottom of chat.txt?

Chat.txt can be found...

If Windows 7/8:-

C:\Users\<WINDOWS USERNAME>\appdata\roaming\Second Life\<SL USERNAME>\

If Windows XP:-

C:\Documents and Settings\<WINDOWS USERNAME>\appdata\roaming\Second Life\<SL USERNAME>\

There are griefing objects that can do what you're seeing by flooding local chat with blank lines. If this is the problem it will be an object somewhere nearby. Using Firestorm's spam-control tools you should be able to cut down the spam and then you can try and locate the object.

I am doing a clean install but I have several viewers  Sl viewe,r Firestorm,  Singularty and more and rewch one shows the same thing

working on some screen shots reloading viewers right now ....AND ty for helping me out on this im stumped

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

There are griefing objects that can do what you're seeing by flooding local chat with blank lines. If this is the problem it will be an object somewhere nearby. Using Firestorm's spam-control tools you should be able to cut down the spam and then you can try and locate the object.

You know that just made me think  I was getting this person who keep sending me a TP offer over and over and would not stop so I blocked him and then the Blank line started to pop up . I does not matter were I am but what you are saying makes true as it looks like my LOC chat is full . You know when you close you LOC chat down it will fill your screen up with it ...well i see that dark box but not words or chat so it is like there is something there but no words....

Is there a way to stop it or fix it

ok I just open up my Spam mail and OMG i got this " The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life:" I cant count all of them.....

OMG LLs need to stop these F$%(*&%*@Q^!%*(#%#)*%^#*%^N  Griefers WHY is it that we can never get a lil help ....oh yea they only care about money 

valerie Inshan wrote:

Tyrath, please have a look at this thread, it might ring a bell for you...

I look that over but I look at my land as it is locked down and I did not get anything from anyone

I was getting a IM from a person that was sending mt "TP request" ove n over and on my loc chat screen I see this  ( .: ) omly once and after that blank.

It started at * 18 sl time and is still going as I look in my off lime mail I am getting off line messages that say this ( The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life: )

ok when I put myself in unavailable I can see LOC chat but I can't not get anything ........OMG why is LLs not willing to help us with this  @$%%()#%%)#%)_*#$)_@$@%*%*&%@#$@$%%......ok Im a lil pissed I can show a bank statement on how much money o put in this game it is a avg of 500$ US per month as I have a full sim and this crap happen to us from some low life who only put out griefing on others . Who has not put his hard earned cash in to this place.........

I am up too 115 e-mail saying ( The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life: )

I am in unavailable mode in world I have turn on all the anti spammed that are in the viewer but I still can only see things as Unavailable

Is there a another place I can file a report on this I do not and will not close this acct down and I can not loss all i have in it. Just because some griefer got his feeling hurt .

What i posted early is the only thing that comes in the E-mail

I have been trying all day to get rid of What ever it is . I can not find anything attached to me . I have nothing on my land as it does not matter were I am. I still can not see loc ..Only if I put my self in "Away" mode I can see what is in LOC chat but that keeps me from getting anything passed or delivery to me. This grifer was tossed off a sim because I reported him to the sim owners . I hate that we can not fight back as it will label me as a griefer then

So now I have over 299 E-Mail in my yahoo box and it is still going up ...This is total bull crap LLs will not do anything but tell me to files a AR on them but we all know were it goes .....Oh yes nowhere.........

I posted some forum from some other people that have had the same problem and in one i did what they did but it did not stop it . That was to turn on the Anti-Spam for the viewer but it still is going on, I use 5 dif viewers and each one is the same.

Days like this is when we wish we could get away with griefing them back but as soon as we do they cry "WAAAA"WAAAAA he did it to me " you know SL is a great place and I am not leaving it is time we fight back and start with LL to get on the case ........OMG IM dreaming again someone slap me. ok IM ranting sorry but if anyone out there can help me plz do so either here or find me in world...I am a nice guy and did nothing wrong ....

Oh here what i have done .

1.  Blocked all the ones who been griefing me ( but this guys has loads of alts)

2. Reloaded all my viewers and cleared anything out of my comp that was left there after my uninstall of the viewers

3. Striped to default test and pick a new avi from SL viewer.

Call LL to ask for help ( that was a waste of time and even ask him to tell me how much I put in to SL "loads of money" )

5. Cleared all thing from my land ( As it is always set for group only and no one else )

6. Turn on the Anti-Spam for the viewers

7. Did all the searching with different tools looking for transparency , shift-ctrl-alt-9 and a few others.

8. Bought a anti crasher

9' tried to see who is sending me the thing that my email stats ( The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life:) nit does not tell me who is sending it only what i pasted here and it comes from SL .

10) turn on my setting for "AWAY" mode ( but I will not be able to get anything from friends or stores )

11. Took some time away for my comp and wet outside to enjoy the weather ( but now have 312 e-mails and still this problem)

I'm hoping somebody familiar with this particular kind of attack has gotten back to you in private. I don't actually know what's going on here, but if I understand correctly what you reported, this would seem to be an exploit of object IMs. There have been some of those in the past, but narrowing down what's going on in this particular case may be difficult, so it would be helpful if somebody has already figured it out before.

The thing is, if this is a known exploit, it would be in a hidden SEC jira, so only (?) a Linden could find it, so we're kind of dependent on another resident to say whether they recognize something from your description. In lieu of that, it may be time to file your own SEC jira ("bug report") on this.

For that to have any effect, however, you have to be able to give enough detail for it to be investigated (or at least to match the symptoms of a known exploit). I'm hoping somebody will come along (or already has, in private) and suggest what that jira should look like in this case, so it gets the attention it deserves. (Worst case, I'll try to help, but I'm obviously not the best at succinct prose.)

• 10 months later...

Hello guys

i saw this post here and maybe you all can help me. I was reading the posts and i dont know how to fix it here because i dont see anything wrong and nothing changed too. I cant see what ppl say on local chat. I see gestures, i see what objects say but ppl nothing. I was looking all over even opened a bug report on jira but i dont get help from anyone. I need to see the local chat im manager at one place. I am using Firestorm.

ty 

Ro

• 5 years later...

One thing you might try if you have messed up your settings that might save you having to do a clean install is to go to references, backup and restore your settings. If you have taken a recent back up or haven't tinkered with your setups too much any backup will do. 

Just now, Corie Quan said:

One thing you might try if you have messed up your settings that might save you having to do a clean install is to go to references, backup and restore your settings. If you have taken a recent back up or haven't tinkered with your setups too much any backup will do. 

You are replying to a post from 2013 ;) 

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.