Not fully understands the purpose of SL. Can someone briefly explain to me?

badwolf007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What is the point of registering to this game, wondering around in a nirvana state, to explore a glowing poster, randomly positioned at a green field in an imaginary location and watch flying people over rivers and hills?

Either there's loads of things I don't understand, as I only registered yesterday, or SL is just not for me.

I got interested to SL because I've been told that I can build my own worlds and create my own business, virtual, real or in between.

Unfortunately, I can't work out how or if this might be possible.

Could someone advise me on this or point me to the right direction, where I could read and get briefed, as the authors' youtube videos look rather promotional rather than explanatory.

There is nothing straight forward here and unfortunately SL does nothing to help.

PS: By the way, is there any link where I could find all my posted threads, instead of looking for them between all the rest in the forum?

4 answers to this question

What is the point of registering to this game, wondering around in a nirvana state, to explore a glowing poster, randomly positioned at a green field in an imaginary location and watch flying people over rivers and hills?

Either there's loads of things I don't understand, as I only registered yesterday, or SL is just not for me.

I got interested to SL because I've been told that I can build my own worlds and create my own business, virtual, real or in between.

Unfortunately, I can't work out how or if this might be possible.

Could someone advise me on this or point me to the right direction, where I could read and get briefed, as the authors' youtube videos look rather promotional rather than explanatory.

There is nothing straight forward here and unfortunately SL does nothing to help.

PS: By the way, is there any link where I could find all my posted threads, instead of looking for them between all the rest in the forum?

there is no purpose of SL, it's like real life... it's what you make of it. No goals or scores... thats why most people don't nae it a "game".

Start with a lot of traveling, see what others made and do, after that start your own purpose in this world, be creative or just find places to have a good time chatting and meeting others.

To see your posts simply click your name here on the forums.

• Like 1

In reverse order:

To see you latest posts, click your username at the top of the page.

Give it time and explore a bit. It sounds like you want everything handing to you... it doesn't work like that any more than it does in real life.

You can build (you don't even have to pay for land to build on, although it helps), you can start a business and some people do make a real living here. Not many, some just pay the bills and most probably don't even break even.

If you are artistically creative and have business flair, the world's your mollusc.

Read the forum  - follow the links you'll find in some peoples' signatures. Read the scripting and other creating forms. There are in-world classes and many groups you can join.

It's not hard, it's much easier than real life, but you get out what you put in.

• Like 1

Aw.... I thought our responses to your posts over the past few days were pretty helpful.  I'm sorry if they didn't turn out that way. 

No, there's nothing straightforward here.  This is life.  Welcome to it.  There is no "purpose" to Second Life, any more than there is a "purpose" to your regular life, unless you find it for yourself.

Your last few posts have asked about being part of the SL economy.  That's a fine place to find a purpose for many SL residents.  A lot of my own activity in world is driven by what I can create and share with other people.  As I tried to indicate in my replies to your other questions, the creative life here is competitive, just as it is anywhere, but it can also be personally rewarding.  I have learned and practiced skills in SL that I never thought to pursue in my "normal" life.  I have found a level of satisfaction from solving very challenging scripting problems and helping other creators develop products that bring pleasure to many people here.  That has become my major purpose in Second Life, but I'm also a landowner, a part-time librarian, and a mentor of sorts. 

I have many friends and clients for whom the purpose is to wear beautiful clothing or to enjoy dancing, race car driving, or exploring.  I know others whose purpose is to command a starship, join a band of cutthroat pirates, or have nights of endless sex.  The wonderful thing about Second Life is that it lets us each decide what we want to do.  There's no scripted plan, no badges or ranks to earn, no treasure under the rainbow. 

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest reading Knowledge Base articles about the mechanics of Second Life and then visiting Caledon Oxbridge University in world to spend as long as it takes to go through all of their tutorials.  There's a lot to learn at first, just so you can get around and manage inventory and communication.  It keeps changing too, so you'll still be learning years from now.  Then, get out and explore.  Visit places in your Destination Guide.  Go shopping.  Do some of the quests, like Linden Games, to see what they are like.   Meet people, join groups, and decide what you find most interesting. There's a purpose buried in all of that.  You'll find it.  Just don't expect someone else to hand it to you.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.