How do I abandon land when I can't sign on?

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How do I sell or abandon land when I can't sign on? I didn't quit lightly. I followed the instructions five times. I think I downloaded the viewer successfully, but still couldn't get the upgrade. Without the upgrade, I can't sign on. That signaled that I needed to leave since I couldn't sign in. Paying for something I can't use goes against the grain. Had I been able to sign on, I would have sold it to a friend for L$ 1, and let them use it or sell it in their own good time.  As a last resort, I would have just abandoned the land had I been able to sign on and get to the property. I have no use for the stuff left on it, so would have just stuck it in iventory, which will disappear eventually. Consider Amanda Holiday dead (bucked off her horse and broke her neck)and treat the property as the state handles the property of a deceased without a will.

If I ever come back, I'll start fresh.

4 answers to this question

The update that first flashed on my screen 1 December 2016 in a notice that I can't sign on without it. I've followed the instructions provided for that question five times and still can't get the. update to load. I'll pass on trying any more times. I'm old enough that I still remember how to keep myself busy without computers, so no big loss. At least not a big enough loss to make me fret over, lose sleep, or miss a meal. More like misplacing a white gym sock with a matching pair still in the drawer.

Hey Amanda!

First off, don't leave just because you can't sign on.  If you have a halfway decent computer and a broadband internet connection, you CAN get into SL.  I would suggest Lumiya on your Android device as an option, too, but Lumiya does not have functionality to let you sell or abandon your land.  

I am not sure what you mean by "cannot get the upgrade."  If you are having trouble installing or signing on with the stock viewer, try one of the third party viewers like Firestorm or Singularity.

If your computer or your internet connection isn't up to the job...go to a friend who has a better machine or faster internet, and borrow it for an hour to install SL, log in, take care of your land and downgrade your account.

If you want to cancel your account, you MUST sell or abandon your land first.  If you don't do that, you can't downgrade your account to Basic, and you will continue to be charged for Premium dues and for land tier if you own more than 512 square meters.

If you really, truly can't figure out a way to get into SL to do that, then I suggest you call your credit card company and tell them not to accept any further charges from Linden Research Inc.  Or cancel your card, if it's one you use only for SL.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I guess I'm stuck for the land tier fee for a couple more months unless I cancel the authorization to pay the fees. Live and learn has been my mode of operation for a long time, and I just learned another lesson. Don't assume anything in contracts. I thought when I deleted the account they would also cancel my ownership, and send back the membership fee for future unused months. I was wrong. I'll live, so no big deal. To clarify 'can't get the upgrade' I get nothing when I click the button for it. That seems a good hint that it's not meant to be after five failed tries. I'm old enough that I remember how to stay busy without computers, so I'll just go back to some old hobbies and gain or regain the skills I had before I messed with the cyber world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.