Chatting while in the first person point of view

GabrielTruth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I'm fairly new to Second Life, but I recently noticed that I'm unable to chat or send messages when I zoom in to the first person "real life" point of view. Has anyone else noticed this? Its actually dissapointing since i feel like the ability to have a face to face conversations would really add to the realism of Second Life.  I don't know if this is something the designers simply never thought of, but it may be worth bringing to their attention. Thanks

4 answers to this question

I don't know what viewer you are using, but usually hitting the enter key will bring up the chat window.

To activate a window in mouselook or first person view, hold alt when you move your mouse and click the window, Holding alt will move the cursor without changing your camera view.

• Like 1

Mouselook is used mainly for combat and other similar scenarios when using scripted objects. It can be fun too on fairground rides, motor racing and the like. While it does give a first-person view through your own eyes so to speak, it's by no means similar to a face-to-face real life perspective and personally I would find it quite disconcerting to engage in conversations with friends while in mouselook.

• Like 1

If you want to be looking at another's face while chatting, move your cursor over their face, hold down the Alt key, and left click. This will fix your camera on their face. It also makes your avatar's eyes look them in the face.

If you want to orbit around them, but keep your eyes looking at them, just keep the alt and left mouse button held down while you move your mouse around.

While you are doing that, with the left click and alt held down, try pressing down on the Ctrl button, now you have more camera movement available, practice letting up on the Ctrl button while keeping Alt Left Click held down.

If you do let go of alt left click, just re alt left click to where you want your eyes and camera focused.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.