An avatar has done the supposed impossible - returned my objects to me from my own land.

Frankie Rockett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi All

An avatar has done the supposed impossible - returned my objects to me from my own land. In less technical terms, done extensive damage to my sim. Now let me try to cover all bases here:

I have been in SL for 6 or 7 years. I'm a very experienced builder and scripter and I've been around the block. This shouldn't be possible, and yet there you have it. It is happening. It's as if some people have got hold of a login for God mode. Whatever the details might be, a major breach of security seems to be going on here. Note banning them from my land seems unlikely to help since they can just as easily return objects from the other side of the boundary - if indeed they are susceptible to ban settings at all.

Can anyone offer a remedy or at the very least any plausible explanation?

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

I have heard some rumors of an exploit that allows this, or at least allows someone who has no rez permissions to litter a parcel with prims.  I'm sorry, I have no remedy to offer you other than to AR the person.  You may also wish to open a JIRA issue on this.  I suggest using the Security category, if it's available to ordinary residents.

There are definitely rogue viewers around that can spoof or mimic or access the Linden god-mode and do things that "can't" seem to be done under the regular group land rules. I've continously seen exploits involving overriding both group rules and land settings to place grief objects and to inject the owner's own name into the ban list without having the group powers for that.

I haven't seen this return exploit, but I do want to suggest some alternative explanations:

o there has long been a bug that seems fixed on and off over the years that involves the return of objects to inventory when a sim is spammed with griefer objects. While supposedly there should be a "last on, first off" mode where a griefer's own objects would return to inventory if he over-spammed, what happens is that older items set to the group get forced back. So possibly the griefer is just spamming the land rapidly with his own prims, blowing yours off. There is supposed to be normally a message and function that says "can't rez because parcel is full," but something definitely overrides this as I've had it happen lately

o even if only one tiny prim that you can't even see linked is in "share," it will "infect" the whole linked set and make it returnable. There is also a bug in the group tools whereby even people who are not granted in the group the right to return group-set objects can return them if they are in share. Example -- a prefab house with a window switch put in "share" makes the entire house returnable, even though if you examine the whole object's menu, you don't see that it is in "share".

o a social hack could be involved whereby somebody gained control of your account and merely logs on to your account to return prims.

There aren't remedies for this. But one possible remedy is to maintain a high prim count so that it is not easy for a griefer to come and inject a lot of prims on to the sim rapidly. I don't know the threshold or how this is triggered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.