New......

CindyWho183

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there, I am new to scripting. I just figured how to change what the item does..

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSay(0, "Hello there!!");
        llSay(0, "I'm Cindy");
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llSay(0, "");
    }
}

Here is what I have so far, but I want to learn how to make clothing... This is just from the prim box... I'd love to know how to sell clothing and to start scripting.. People tell me it's easy but a lot of techinal stuff, not a geek... but I can be good on some things but some things I'M NOT good at... I just want a good job, that pays good. I've heard scripting could make up to 3,000 lindens in a days time. :womanwink: 

So either one sooths me, but could someone please tell me what is the difference?

Scripting and clothing selling... Scripting just seems like something you would craft out, clothing.. I have no idea, but most of the classes our from Secondlife time and I don't have that time zone. So if someone could train me how to make clothing, it would thankful and I'd appreciate.

( I'm poor at the moment, but if you would be willing to do it's free; that would be even more amazing! :-) )

Be sure to im me in-world... Thanks!

Building, Scripting, Textures are all ways that are used to create clothing as well as everything you see in SL except the land and basic avatars.

A very simple explanation of what each are is:

Texturing is used to make the clothes that you wear from your inventory that you can't rez in world.  Basically they are pictures you create on a template of the avatar that are then 'painted' on the avatar when you 'wear' them.  You make the textures using a graphics program like Photos or Gimp.  Textures are also applied to prims to texture them, such as wallpaper for a wall, wood for a floor, or flowers and leaves for plants.

Building is what is used to create the 3D objects that you see rezzed in the world or in the case of clothing, what avatars wear.  You do this with what is known as prims using either in world tools or an outside 3D Modeling program.

Scripting is like programming mini applications that are put into prims that make things happen in the world.  In clothing they are used for a variety of things such as resizing scripts, or texture changing.

You can read more about this here.  You can find classes in world to teach you how to do all three,  Some people teach themselves how to do them to through reading tutorials.  All three, while not extremely difficult, do require a lot of practice in order to master them.

People generally start learning by starting with building or texturing as you need to understand these to do a lot of scripting.

Don't expect to make huge earnings from work in Second Life.  By comparison with what you can earn at a job in RL (even selling burgers and fries), SL jobs rarely pay very well.  To succeed as a creator in SL, you need to develop good technical skills and then you need to create a good product line and a client base -- all of which take time.  Creating is great fun --- I have been at it as a scripter, builder, and clothing designer here for five years --- but don't plan on giving up RL work to do it.  Create for the enjoyment of making things, the intellectual satisfaction of solving a very tricky problem, and the pleasure of sharing your work with others.  If you make money too, that's great.

It is possible to make "real money" by programming in SL. However it is not exactly "scripting". You will be making complex systems consisting of SL objects communicating with off-world web servers for real programming wages of 25USD per hour and up. However for this, in addition to LSL, you need to know databases (like mySQL) and at least PHP programming language. In other words you need to be an experienced professional programmer in real life.

Unless you are, don't quit your real life job, if you have one :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.