Dataserver issue

2toe Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

okay so i want to put a message on notecards (as many as i feel ) and youch button to open textbox say name of note card (named for my mesg) it says name. root then finds and reads it on 0.  but i cant seem to figure how to make it query what was said in chat

You can start the dataserver going with something like this:

key query;integer counter;string notecard;///	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)	{		if(llGetInventoryType(message)==INVENTORY_NOTECARD){			counter = 0;			notecard = message;			query = llGetNotecardLine(notecard,counter);		}	}////}

ETA Darkie beat me to it.

Well i know its messy havent even started to clean up lol  but ya idk this dont seem to work like i want. i say /-999 test

and it shouts a key for the notecard. and error can not find notecard'

string gName;    // name of a notecard in the object's inventoryinteger gLine = 0;list cards = [];//key rQueryID;key query_id;integer counter;string notecard; string said;key gQueryID; // id used to identify dataserver queriesdefault {    state_entry() {        llListen(-999,"","","");        gName = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_NOTECARD, 0); // select the first notecard in the object's inventory        gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request first line    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        if(llGetInventoryType(message)==INVENTORY_NOTECARD){            counter = 0;            notecard = message;            query_id = llGetNotecardLine(notecard,counter);            said = llGetNotecardLine(llKey2Name(notecard),counter);            llShout(0,said);        }    }    dataserver(key query_id, string data) {        if (query_id == gQueryID) {            if (data != EOF) {    // not at the end of the notecard                llSay(0, (string)gLine+": "+data);    // output the line                ++gLine;                // increase line count                gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request next line            }        }    }}

See my comments and changes below

string gName;    // name of a notecard in the object's inventoryinteger gLine = 0;list cards = [];//key rQueryID;key query_id;integer counter;string notecard; string said;key gQueryID; // id used to identify dataserver queriesdefault {    state_entry() {        llListen(999,"","",""); //Darkie: if you say something in the chat, you can't use a negative channel        gName = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_NOTECARD, 0); // select the first notecard in the object's inventory        gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request first line    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        if(llGetInventoryType(message)==INVENTORY_NOTECARD){            gLine = 0;//Darkie: use gLine here again            notecard = message;            gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(notecard,gLine);//Darkie: use gLine here again; you need the variable gQueryID            //said = llGetNotecardLine(llKey2Name(notecard),gLine); //Darkie: this doesn't really make sense; what do you want to get here?            //llShout(0,said);        }    }    dataserver(key query_id, string data) {        if (query_id == gQueryID) {            if (data != EOF) {    // not at the end of the notecard                llSay(0, (string)gLine+": "+data);    // output the line                ++gLine;                // increase line count                gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request next line            }        }    }}

No.  The key returned by llGetNoteCardLine identifies the dataserver response.   So, in the dataserver event you do something like:

dataserver(key requested, string data){	if(requested == query){//make sure it's what we requested		if(data!=EOF){//if it's not come to the end of the card			data = llStringTrim(data,STRING_TRIM);//trim leading and trailing spaces			if(data!=""){// if there's anything left -- i.e. it's not an empty line				llOwnerSay(data);//process it some way			}			counter++;//advance the counter			query = llGetNotecardLine(notecard,counter);//fetch the next line		}		else{			llOwnerSay("Reached the end of the card");		}	}}

Forgot gName once again ;)

string gName;    // name of a notecard in the object's inventoryinteger gLine = 0;list cards = [];//key rQueryID;//key query_id; //Darkie: as has been saidinteger counter;string notecard; string said;key gQueryID; // id used to identify dataserver queriesdefault {    state_entry() {        llListen(999,"","",""); //Darkie: if you say something in the chat, you can't use a negative channel        gName = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_NOTECARD, 0); // select the first notecard in the object's inventory        gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request first line    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        if(llGetInventoryType(message)==INVENTORY_NOTECARD){            gLine = 0;//Darkie: use gLine here again            gName = message; //Darkie: put gName here            gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName,gLine);//Darkie: use gLine here again; you need the variable gQueryID; use gName here            //said = llGetNotecardLine(llKey2Name(notecard),gLine); //Darkie: this doesn't really make sense; what do you want to get here?            //llShout(0,said);        }    }    dataserver(key query_id, string data) {        if (query_id == gQueryID) {            if (data != EOF) {    // not at the end of the notecard                llSay(0, (string)gLine+": "+data);    // output the line                ++gLine;                // increase line count                gQueryID = llGetNotecardLine(gName, gLine);    // request next line            }        }    }}

Read up on the dataserver event and llGetNotecardLine 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.