Band merch...?

khoeler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is the creation of official band merch that some of us wear these days allowed to be created and used within Second Life? Even if you have licensing from said artists/labels? Because I would love to have my avatar (when I can actually play the game) to look just like me and I have a LOT of band merch like hats, hoodies, jumpers and shirts.  

It can ONLY IF the creator has a license to use any copywrited material from each holder of the copyright.  Otherwise, its against TOS, as well as RL law. 

Unless the copyright owner sees an real advantage, I doubt that such a license would come cheaply, if its even granted.  Since a creator makes such a small amount on each sale, the chances of it being much more than a big money losing propostion for the creator is pretty slim.

Realistically, we know that SL features plenty of copyrighted likenesses, sound clips, videos, images, lyrics, poems, .etc, .etc, few/any licensed from their holding firms. However, these people who misappropriate others' IP are subject to ARs as well as possible civil suits. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what you want to create, whether you want to commercially distribute it, and how uncanny any likenesses should be. Just, no crying when your favorite rock star's label sues you after you blow off cease + desists, LL deletes your beloved account, and James Hetfield makes your day too by microwaving your pet.

You've been warned.

• Like 1

You have a valid point septimusminimus and the "James Hetfield makes your day too by microwaving your pet." made my day, even just on the forums I'm having a good day, let alone the game (need a better system). :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.