Possible theft of creators' merchandise

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am standing surrounded by many other group members of a certain make up creator in a shop which appears to be gving away some of her stuff free... The make up creator is sure that she has not sold her stuff to be sold on by this shop.

There is other merchandise here too - shoes, skins, clothes.

The make up creator is obviously going to file a DMCA notice, but how can other potential victims be alerted? Group members are trying to identify and alerting creators right now.

How can we know what other shops / alts there are selling / giving away free stuff not belonging / having been created by them?

I'm at a loss, knowing i can not name names...

Mocksoup Graves wrote:

It was my stuff. Somehow they have an item that I gave out as a group gift. I am still a little lost about it. I want to report it, but I don't want the legitimate copies to be replaced. 

If the thief copybotted it so they're listed as the Creator Name, when LL "remedies" the copybotted versions they can distinguish between your legitimate versions with you as the Creator and the bogus ones with the thief as the Creator. You *should* be safe and not subject your honest customers to the indignity of having their legal gifts removed.

I am so very sorry about what's happened Mockie :(.

It's unclear to me at the moment what went on and I think it would really be helpful to have the Lindens investigate the issue.

For the sake of all other creators, please don't let this go...

Emma  

I've only had to file one DMCA so far, but my products are scripted so I am less prone to theft of my items. (Non-scripted stuff is a lot easier to copybot and/or steal) However I do know folks that can "celebrate" 100's of DMCA filings.

The trick to getting them to respond rapidly and decisively is to follow their instructions TO THE LETTER. If you think they might need to know something, include it anyway. Be concise, be accurate and leave ALL emotion out. "Just the facts, ma'am" as the old saying goes.

Here's a link to their instructions on filing a DMCA: Digital Millenium Copyright Act

I notice lately there is more theft of all kinds.  Certainly I have not seen as much as recently. My textures were ripped through copybotting this week.  My largest house was recently copybotted and being sold in InWorldz by someone who bought the house from me in in SL.  Someone told me she bought a boxed bedroom set inworld (not from a vendor) and did not get it -- I replaced it, then I got a rez notice from two different boxes she rezzed (the original and the replacement).

Upon receipt of a DMCA, LL will remove things you identify the location of inworld or on the MP, and if you know what they have named them in their inventories.  But for the most part you don't know what they are named, so they stay in their inventories.

*sigh* I totally understand your choice Mocksoup, but it saddens me too. It seems a big hill to climb, and you don't really want to create conflict either. But not "punishing" the thief only reaffirms their belief that they can steal from anyone without repercussions too. It gives them license to steal from others.

I know it's a social engineering issue, but it's also one of my "kicking points" ... being a father of three grown kids and all. I never let my kids get away with bad like that. Not too long ago, my youngest (now 24) told me that the year I rode him like white on rice (patted him down, went through his backpack before and after school, took him to school and picked him up after class every day) .. even though embarassing and annoying, was also the best thing I did for him growing up. It taught him not to steal, not to take things for granted, and reminded him there are consequences for wrong actions.

As I said, it's not easy to raise this to the level of an issue. It's not fun to wade into conflict either. But the most important, the most beneficial and the most rewarding things we do in life are also often the hardest. That's why medicine tastes like crap and saying "I'm sorry" is impossible for some folks to say .. because they are the right things.

Anyway .. soapbox off. I hope the gal in question learned her lesson and she will immediately remove the stolen items (from you and others) and not go on believing that she has free license to steal again.

And no matter how this turns out ... *HUGZ* ... cuz sometimes we all just need one to make the day okay.

Punishing thieves is pretty rare in SL. I have gone the DMCA route with LL and the results are very disappointing. The guy I contacted when I discovered he had my textures -- there was nothing I could do, at least not through LL.  At first he  said he could not remember where he got them, but he ended up saying he would delete them from inventory and computer. I told him that SL was how I supported my family; that for most people SL was a game, but for me it was not; that the textures were worth a great deal to me; reminded him that LL had his RL info -- and asked him how seriously did he think I took it when my textures were stolen? 

I think he may have gotten impression that I was willing to go pretty far to protect my property, which I am. But LL will have no role in it, other than supplying the name of the ripper if I decide to sue for damages. The scammers and rippers -- there are plenty of both -- are having a field day and there are few consequences.

We are all in the same boat in SL; threats rarely get you anywhere.

There's a Twitter feed on that site. Maybe some public knowledge? 

I Tweeted with reference back to this post and that blog. Explose them. I have 200+ follwers. Anyone else do the same. Social networks are there for a reason. 

PS: Did you give Linden the link  to MP? I can't believe she's selling on MP with stolen skins and, omg, she's giving them away for 99L or free!

@Faye : I didn't give the link to their MP store cuase I didn't see my stuff there. lol  I went to their in-world store, joined their group so that I could grab the group gift, took a picture of the gift giver and made a LM for documentation. I didn't know the twitter feed.

@Emma : Thanks. You are sweet.

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

@Faye : I didn't give the link to their MP store cuase I didn't see my stuff there. lol  I went to their in-world store, joined their group so that I could grab the group gift, took a picture of the gift giver and made a LM for documentation. I didn't know the twitter feed.

@Emma : Thanks. You are sweet.

This turns my stomach. It is bad enough when they rip for their own use, worse to sell the stuff, but the very worst to just give it away for free. And I would bet money there will be no consequences from LL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.