ok another creation question

emmettcullen93

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The most effective way to make layered clothing is via exterior graphics programs like, Photoshop, Gimp (free), Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements, etc. While you can use the In-World built in clothing tool under appearance, it is not very precise and you are limited what you can use them for. 

If you want to sell your creations and have a good quality product, I suggest you look at invest in an outside graphics program and educate yourself how to use it.  As pointed out by another poster Gimp is free and it is similar to Photoshop in a number of respects.There are many many tutorials available on the web on how to use Gimp and Photoshop and use their various features to create things.

A number of merchants In-World and quite a few on Marketplace sell premade clothing layers that you can tint or add textures to In-World.  Or, you can look at purchasing the actual layered file for download to your computer to work on your creations then upload to SL.  Mind you, not all templates are created equal.  Oftentimes, even if you buy a template, you may need to correct elements and rematch seams with a graphics program then upload the correction. Again, you can search the web and/or youtube and find tons of tutorials on how to make clothing for SL.

Making clothing is not an easy thing.  I have taken the plunge recently (for the umpteenth time).  It takes a lot of patience and skill in my opinion to make things really nice.  The small amount anyone pays for an outfit that can take hours and hours to create it well worth the money than trying to make their own.

Good Luck to you!  I hope you enjoy creating!

Making clothing is not an easy thing.  I have taken the plunge recently (for the umpteenth time).  It takes a lot of patience and skill in my opinion to make things really nice.  The small amount anyone pays for an outfit that can take hours and hours to create it well worth the money than trying to make their own.

Good Luck to you!  I hope you enjoy creating!

_________________________________________________________________________________

I spent two weeks on gown that I just finished today.

Lots of work. 8 hour days. Beyond the artistic side, some business abilities is important if you want to be serious.

You can make things for yourself or friends, but to get into a serious business, it's a steep climb. You can't do it without a knowing PS or some other graphic program that you're comfortable using. You have to know how to work with layers, and just about every other function in PS.

I don't wish to discourage you, but back in the early days of SL it was much easier to build a clothing business. Now, there are so many amazing professional graphic designers making clothing that it's nearly impossible to sell newbie clothing. Shoppers are savvy.

Purchasing premade templates might be the best way to go while learning the craft. That's what I did in the very beginning.

Yes, there is lots of competion for clothing in SL these days. For me, it is a personal challenge to say i can do it  rather than counting on it as a business to make money.   I don't create clothing for the masses in lots of colors or fat packs.  I make individual outfits to suit my tastes, which is to say it is not for everyone....LOL.   I create other things besides this current project of clothing and definately  do not count on either line to come close to covering my expenses.  I do it for the love of learning and creation.  

I wish everyone would give clothing creation a try, maybe then they could see how  complicated it can be.  Maybe next time they paid for a dress with accessories included they would not complain how expensive it is and that the designer must be making a fortune.

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

Yes, there is lots of competion for clothing in SL these days. For me, it is a personal challenge to say i can do it  rather than counting on it as a business to make money.   I don't create clothing for the masses in lots of colors or fat packs.  I make individual outfits to suit my tastes, which is to say it is not for everyone....LOL.   I create other things besides this current project of clothing and definately  do not count on either line to come close to covering my expenses.  I do it for the love of learning and creation.  

I wish everyone would give clothing creation a try, maybe then they could see how  complicated it can be.  Maybe next time they paid for a dress with accessories included they would not complain how expensive it is and that the designer must be making a fortune.

I still have your attitude. I learn something new everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can create clothing using the Appearance editor, but it will not be high quality clothing.

An option if you want to create clothing in SL would be to buy kits, those are pre made clothing textures that you just assemble. It won't be the best quality or the most unique, but it works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.