Second Life crashing,and runnig very slow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried cleaning the cache,turning all graphics down,reinstalling,testing 3rd parthies,checked other accounts,lag meter,and still, my second life keeps horrible.

It crashes alot,and it starts to lag and get very slow,but I used this configuration(high graphics) for some time before,and had great results.The lag mater say it is the draw distance,but change it,and change the other graphic parts wont help.I am desperate to be able to use second life without all this problem.Please help me!

I am using windows 7.

Second Life 3.2.8 (248931) Feb 9 2012 09:04:17 (Second Life Release)Notas de versão

Você está em 252.580,0, 257.771,0, 21,7 em Gypsy Moon localizado em sim9158.agni.lindenlab.com</nolink>(216.82.42.94:13003)
Second Life Server 12.02.24.249991
Buscando...

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (3200.06 MHz)
Memória: 3576 MBs
Versão OS: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Placa de vídeo: NVIDIA Corporation
Placa gráfica: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2

Versão do driver de vídeo Windows: NVIDIA Corporation
Versão OpenGL: 3.3.0

Versão libcurl: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
Versão J2C Decoder: KDU v6.4.1
Versão do driver de áudio: FMOD version 3.750000
Versão Qt Webkit: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Versão do servidor de voz: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Construído com MSVC versão 1600
Packets Lost: 148/294.550 (0,1%)

Have you tried running a scan on your computer? Could be a virus/malware/spyware issue.

Your specs seem ok and if your computer ran the same configuration before with great results, then it should stay that way.  If something changed, I would assume it's a virus problem, a driver file is corrupted, or something hardware related.  But definitely try running a scan.

A GeForce 9500 won't run SL on high on a v3 client. The other specs are good. OpenGL3.3 is a bit old, see if you can find a newer driver on http://www.nvidia.com

If it does crash on multiple clients it might also be a failing fan causing overheating, considering that your graphics card is fairly old. You could try using a temperature monitoring utility to see if that is the case. If I remember correctly, nVidias control center on Windows has a temp display and the GF9500 has a temp sensor. Or try SpeedFan, that can monitor GPU temps as well as any other temp sensors and most fans your PC has.

some more ideas here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923

Also try disabling VBO in preferences/graphics

Try disabling HTTP

Has there been any change to your internet connection?  Are you using wireless?  If so, have you tried hard wiring?

I know this is trial and error but is best that I have to offer.

I'd check the easiest thing first: System stability. Run FurMark (NOT unattended!) and see how hot your system gets and whether or not it crashes. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Then the usual suggestions already posted - clearing Cache, Settings etc.pp.

Btw, watch out when disabling VBO - that can quite severely cripple your FPS. Next, since it's not obvious: If you have multiple monitors, run SL on the primary.

Thank you so much for the replies.

I use wired internet.I tried disabling VBO and http,and I am now using the lowest draw distance option,I disabled voice,cleaned the cache,and still,the problem continues.

I noticed that right after logging,the game seems normal,and it start getting low fps to move the camera,until it becomes impossible.

The worst is,I used to play with this exact setting(except for all those thing not disabled) and got wondeful results,the animations were all very smooth,and I used even higher anti-aliazing setting(used to be 4 or 8,and now 2).

Lisa, have you tried installing a hybrid version, such as Cool VL Viewer, Phoenix, Imprudence, or Singularity? I call them hybrids because they use a combination of v1 code with v2/v3 features backported to them to stay current. I'm not advocating they are any better than the current crop of v3 viewers (and I don't invite anyone to debate me on that in this particular thread) but perhaps one of those viewers may work better for you.

I'm not all that familiar with how the various makes and models of graphics cards work on Windows systems (as I'm on a Mac and have my own set of issues running SL on that platform) but if, as Jennie pointed out earlier, your graphics card is a little bit older it might be a better fit for one of the hybrid viewers.

If you decide to try one of these hybrid viewers out, make sure they have the features that are important to you, such as multiple clothing layers, mesh viewing, etc. As they are TPVs some may have features that others do not and vice versa.

As the v3 viewer evolves, more code might be being added to it that makes your graphics card fall farther behind.

Just a thought.

I noticed that right after logging,the game seems normal,and it start getting low fps to move the camera,until it becomes impossible.

That sounds familiar. I once had a PC that acted like that. It seems like the cache is running full and never gets emptied. I am not familiar with Windows-PCs - I use Apple - but maybe you wanna check that trace. BTW: back then even the computer company couldn't help and refunded me. There seem to be configurations that just don't work.

Also, did you check your problem on different sims? Lately SLs servers have been working quite irregulary. I noticed individual sims run much better thean others. 

I am having similar problems except I'm on a Mac. SL worked fine up until a couple of months ago. Now it frequently crashes. I can't TP without crashing most times & last night it took over an hour for a sim to load for me on the lowest settings. I used to do a lot of photography, etc...now I can barely move & can't see anything because it takes so long to load. Nothing has changed...I'm really puzzled.

Lucretia, if I may ask, what kind of Mac are you on? What is the OS? It might be helpful to know what the "About Second Life" box says when you open it. I'm really curious to see what your OpenGL version is.

I, too, am on a Mac. The latest iMac Apple has and I've been seeing some problems as of late. I'm trying to pin down if they're SL related, Mac OS related, or a combination of both. I've made some tweaks in my debug settings that have helped somewhat but my SL experience still isn't as vibrant or smooth as it was a couple of months ago.

If your usual sim works well but many others don't anymore, it could be a sign of the increasing complexity of inworld builds. It's only going to become more complex as technology moves forward.

Another thing to look at are the server channels. Find out what the server channel is for the sim that works for you then visit other sims on that same channel. Then visit sims on the other channels and keep track of those that work and those that don't. It's very possible that each of the server channels are running a different level of server software with different sets of updates and patches. If there's a consistent pattern of sims across one channel or another not working for you, search the Jira for similar complaints and add your case to it or file a new one.

I reinstalled again,checked viruses(none found) and deleted any 3rd party.

At first I though it was better,but its just as before:starts good,and then keep getting worst.

I noticed that mesh and sculpties are taking alot more time to load than usual.

Im so tired,I just want to enjoy second life as before,and like this,is impossible

• 1 month later...

Sorry Sappa....didn't see your message until now as I've been overseas.

I'm on an iMac. Running OS X 10.6.8 My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD2600 The Secondlife Viewer spits out the following regarding OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.36

I've never had shadows (it's a Mac, after all...SL & Macs don't play nicely together in that regard) but until a few months ago, I had a good, stable connection & was able to function quite nicely on my high graphics settings. Now I'm reduced to the absolute basic settings & even then frequently have trouble with TPing & waiting for anything to load. It's effectively made the whole SL experience almost impossible. And nothing has changed with my hardware. Interesting that more & more people are having the same problems (although it'd be even more interesting if I could get it to work properly! lol). I also seem to be having more & more problem connecting to the secondlife website in a timely fashion. I wonder if they're having server issues?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.