Problems with SL viewer

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if its just laptops, but I've been having some problems with SL as of late. I had been using a Toshiba laptop--newer model, maybe a year old. I was always getting big black splotches that would pop up on the screen every minute or so. They only lasted a split second, but got annoying after a while.

I tried it on my other laptop, a brand new Samsung, and so far no splotches. However--and this was just last night--things were really slow moving, you couldn't walk the avatars properly, etc. Maybe it was a bad time or the site was just slow.

Were they doing maintenance last night?

sl has been having problems with hackers lately and LL  is having had time fending off. it has took a tole on the virtual economy as well as i workd my job and barely had anybody come out to join me and dance. im not sure when LL will get all back to norm but i hear it may take some time.

friscolives wrote:

I don't know if its just laptops, but I've been having some problems with SL as of late. I had been using a Toshiba laptop--newer model, maybe a year old. I was always getting big black splotches that would pop up on the screen every minute or so. They only lasted a split second, but got annoying after a while.

I tried it on my other laptop, a brand new Samsung, and so far no splotches. However--and this was just last night--things were really slow moving, you couldn't walk the avatars properly, etc. Maybe it was a bad time or the site was just slow.

Were they doing maintenance last night?

The black splotches sound like a problem that recent SL viewers have with a lot of ATI/AMD video cards. Try to get the most recent video drivers you can and if that doesn't help go into "Preferences" - "Graphics" - "Hardware" and uncheck the box labeled "Use OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects."

As far as things moving slowly that's usually a symptom of an erratic Internet connection or problems with the server for an individual region. Each region (named square map area) in SL is separately handled - if it's just one area that's usually a server problem and if it's everywhere that's usually a connection problem.

I am using wifi for the laptop.

I have two computers, one of which is wired directly to my router, the other (the laptop) that uses the wifi. I had been using the older laptop (Toshiba, black splotches) which was able to run fairly smoothly albiet with the frequent image degradation, so I switched to the brand new Samsung, which last night was going pretty slow.

I should point out from time to time I experience similar slowness on my wired connection desktop, so maybe it was just a problem with the server. I also probably need to load the latest java and flash software. The laptop is new, but  for all I know it was on the shelf at the store for a month or doesn't even come with flash or java loaded.

I will fiddle with it later tonight, also check out the other suggestions. I'm hoping its resolved, because the Samsung is a pretty nice laptop all around. Would love to have it run SL well.

I highly doubt hackers or the in world economic situation is the cause of the issues you have ;)

I agree with Theresa that you should check your graphics card drivers in regards to the blotches you see, and check connection related things for the slowness in the viewer.

Wifi - as others have mentioned - could count for some of the slowness, but it sounds as if you have checked this already.

- Luc -

SL still runs slow as hell. Its really noticible when my avatar is walking, like she's moving at 5 fps or something--very non smooth. I did notice my new laptop doesn't really have a video card, it just sells Intel HD graphics, so I guess its something build right into the motherboard. I'm sure its within the specs to run SL, but it doesn't run it well.

Problem solved.

I double checked my preferences, and in the graphics it was set to high. I didn't pay a lot of attention to this, but to compare I checked the settings on my other computer--where it runs well--and that was set to low. So I changed this to low and it moves much better. The walk is now normal and its running like it did on the other computer, so life is good,

Another dumb question, but is anyone running it at high or ultra level? I'm just curious if there are laptops out there that are powerful enough to run this program at a high setting and still have it run smoothly.

Glad you got the performance sorted out!

Regarding whether anybody runs SL on ultra. Yes, people do run on ultra! Have a look at the discussion in this thread - http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Which-video-card-is-best-for-SL-AMD-Radeon-or-nVidia-GeForce/td-p/1419993 - where people are discussing framerates I only dream of. :D Kind of makes me look into building a computer myself...

- Luc -

emmettcullen93 wrote:

i have recieved many notices and group ims inworld about this from owners of very successful sims that have hit a economic stand still due to this.

I hate to say this but In my close to five years here I still see notes past around that started out almost when I began SL.  And from seasoned users, SIM owners, etc.

When I back track on these notes I have found with out fail everyone of them was bunk.  When I have then asked the sender if they checked it out before passing it on, the answer was "NO."  When I asked why then did they pass it on the answer was , "better safe than sorry."

I am not saying it is not wise to be careful.  Computer security is important.  And I encourage safe computing habits as well as teach them.  However, the funny thing is that I have found that passing on false warnings is actually counter productive.  They get people looking in the wrong direction and then they get blind sided.

The bottom line for me is if I get a note, I also want to see the documentation.

If there were as many security holes as some of these notes claim, we would constantly be seeing Second Life brought to its knees.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.