Buying some of an abandoned land parcel

GilHamilton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, this one is bugging me because I can't find an answer. There's a piece of abandoned land I'd like to buy. It's 8704 m2 (sorry, I can't do the superscript). I don't want to buy the whole piece, though, and I can't find out if I can buy just some of it. I'm hoping that there's an option when you click on the Buy Land tab (in the About Land box), but I hesitate to click on that tab in case it doesn't ask me to confirm the purchase.

If anyone can tell me - or point me to the information I haven't been able to find - I'd appreciate it

Edit: Marigold, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. As it turns out it didn't give me an option to buy less than the full area, but I didn't have enough L$ anyway.

Knowl, it's definitely abandoned land, owned by Governor Linden (I can name him, right?) and for sale to anyone. The About Land box shows only the full area, though, and that's more area than I can afford.

10 answers to this question

Hmm, I would visit the Plot of land, and look at the Place profile in the about land page.

You should be able to either right click on the ground and choose About land or use the drop down menu in the World tab on the top tool bar.

Look for who is selling the Land and contact that person with your request.

When land is abandoned these days, it's automatically set to sell for 1L$ per sq m after 24 hours of abandonment, which is why the parcels are not always divided into 512m or 1024 parcels, which would make more sense, and possibly be more attractive to prospective buyers. 

Good luck with your request to purchase a portion of the land from Gov Linden, Gil.  It may take a day or two for them to handle your support ticket, but it's in LL's interests to sell land and obtain tier fees wherever possible, rather than having land lain waste.

Yes, you can name the Governor.

In your Ticket with Support, request for the Land to be subdivided and set for sale, to your Avatar, or to be made available for sale to Residents.

Provide the Region name and coordinates in your Ticket. Then wait. I think your chances of getting the land are good.

There's no way to buy just part of a parcel.  As others have suggested, file a support ticket with LL and ask them to subdivide the parcel, then go and buy the piece you want.

You *could* buy the whole thing, and then subdivide it yourself and Abandon the unwanted part.  However, this would mean you would have to pay the full purchase price, and you would also pay tier on the entire parcel for the first month, even if you Abandon a piece of it only minutes after purchase.

Hi Marigold, miminal addition. When land is abandoned it is no "automatically" set for sale. According to http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Abandoned-land/ta-p/846143#Section_.4 "When a mainland parcel is abandoned, there is a short period (from one hour to 24 hours) during which an owner can reclaim the land if he/she abandoned it in error." :)

(edited for correct typos... buf )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.