Free gift to celebrate our new photographic studio in S.L.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To celebrate the opening of our photography studio in Second Life I have created an Accient Greek theme 2012 Calendar

Myself and my partner are within each month this is to highlight the high standards of photo's we take in SL. Please feel

free to visit and take a copy of this great calender ,The Calendar itself is fully interactive meaning that it's menu driven to each month you wish to view, looks great in your home or premcies. and its free. please let me know your feedback of the studio and my photograpfic work .The main strip 2.jpg

huh:matte-motes-bored:

January... you two standing in front of some background.

February... again, you two standing in front of some background, same pose and same clothes.

March.... you two standing, but switched places. Again, same clothes.

April... you two standing, same pose from March, and same clothes.

May... finally some other pose, but again, same clothes. 

June... this one is cool, but you cut off his legs at half (either cut the whole legs or below legs), same clothes again.

July.. same pose from April, you two standing in same clothes.

August... pose from January, same clothes.

Here I got bored lol. 

The photos should have some story to tell, not just two avatars standing in front of some background that you can find on xy sites... 

The only message/story I got here is that you two didn't change clothes the whole year:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

Thank you for suggestions, But I cannot see were I placed that I am telling a story, it seems like many strange people who call themselves artists\photographers  that every picture has to tell story,  all I created was a calendar with a theme its not meant to be artists unless that was my goal, now if you care to go to my studio you will see a calendar that I making for

a war role group and see  my intended work there.

I not sure if your just a photographer in SSL only or RL, But can I give you some advice, a professional well known photographer in the UK once told me,, that if the composition and exposure of a photograph is correct then everything else is only pretty to the beholder  so no one has the right to judge a photo than person who looks at it.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions

Now let's see... I wish you used different poses and different avatars. Even sticking with one theme doesn't mean each month should look so alike. Most of the poses are the same with minor changes.

Backgrounds- what is the theme here? I see roman than unicorns popping up. It seems like just a collection of random backgrounds almost. Also, in most of these if not all they background is poorly chosen. They seem to be floating in space and don't 'fit' in the background. Play around with light sources and retouching in photoshop.

You also seem to cut of the models legs in bad places. Try cutting above the knee or not at all.

All in all, by looking at this I would have to say if I was looking for photos I would skip you over. Of course, I'm not saying this is the best of your work. However, if you offer something like this for free its best to make it awesome. That way, people will love it more.

Its does really amaze me when I ask for comments I yet have found a construtive comment, with any interllect or real understanding read carfully and your see I dont mention the comments of the calendar  "please let me know your feedback of the studio and my photograpfic work ."its my work at the studio the calerndar is there as a freebie, if you care to visit my studio there your a see a calerndar that I been commersioned to do for a war role sim and my other work. so really before you start to really hen peck( opps sorry your a cat) figure of speech sure you understand LOL. check, as for the the unicorns

oh my I so sorry that you feel that ruined the theme. but if you going to make a comment please look at the whole book and not the cover.  but thank you for you comments anyway althought I dont agree.

greek Wingtips wrote:

So sorry I thought a calendar only gave infomation about the months and dates, poss 99% calendars serve that purpose 

If that was the case then calendars would be just plain paper with dates... 

Anyway... You offered a calendar as a free gift to celebrate opening of your studio. Great! You mention one thing, its a freebie, so correct me if I'm wrong, you think freebies should not look good? 

That calendar represents your studio, its the only thing you offered here for us to see and it should make me want to go and check more of your work. Right? 

Maybe I was wrong for not choosing the right words, Muffin was more carefull and tried to explain you that calendar, as your product, as the only thing you offered the whole forum community to see, needs to represent the best of you. Its purpose is to attract as many people possible, not only the targeted one. 

I see you're offended, I didn't want to hurt you in any way. Sorry. 

Hi Tamara,

maybe I never explained myself that good, the calernder is a freebie rightly so, it does not represent all my work as the forum would never allow that, like I said in the my orginal statement its the content at my studio not the calendar that I wish for a comment the calerndar is a frebbie of course and yes I do agree its not my best work and there was no intension of that, my photography in rl and sl is represented at my studio and my RL work is on request.

This part is not directed at you but a saying" a photo,picture,art work, just about anything is delightful to the eye of the beholder, one can judge themselves if the like what they see or not, to judge like some is there own interpretation of what pleasing to thier own eye. I take comment on anything I take good or bad, but I cannot critism when its based on what is right or wrong within the photo,  in a nutshell " I dont like it its not my taste" but not you made this mistake or that, Art is an expression no right or wrong( I do belive thier are many artists that paint with thier own **bleep**) some might call that **bleep**, others love it, myself I belive its crap but heh that my own expression LOL parden the pun BTW

Oh looked at your photos  you taken some great photos :-) I do wish you wouldpop by the studio and check out some of my other work,   thanks Tamara

Please give the person a break. He posted his creation to tell everyone whos interested about the give away of his Studio not to ask for someone's opinion about his/her creation. If you guys feel the\at you are a better "artist" or photographer than him/her, ok fine but you can't prove your artistic skills just by criticising other people's work. Let's just respect each other and have fun in Second life.

'please let me know your feedback of the studio and my photograpfic work'

As it was stated in the first post. Forgive me for not knowing the proper code and such to make it look better.

It seems to me that he asked and we both only tried to answer. I have no ill feelings and no wish to 'bring him down'. I only do what I would find helpful, critque. I don't find myself a better artist than him at all, I just speak what I see.

Proving artistic skill isn't what critque is about. I'm sorry you felt my post was that way, it was not meant to be. I gave them feedback.

To be honest, I don't see what's upsetting about what either of us said. Then again, I find critque to be one of the best things to receive on art. Its helpful and made me improve loads.

Of course, that's me.

To Greek Wingtips,

Again, I don't mean to offend. I simply don't keep beleive in keeping 'kid gloves' on for critque. If you wish, I could give a full-bodied critque on your work in a private setting. The forums isn't such a place for heavy critque. It could go on for some time. : P

lol

@Muffin, yes I saw that too and explained it to myself that calendar was not the photographic work of that person.

@tako, I appologized. And my problem was that I was a little dissapointed because I expected to see more creativity work, even if it was a freebie.

@greek, tnx for checking my work, I would be happy to get some link and see yours too, atm I am away from SL and I don't want to login :P

Thank you for comment, but please read the book not the cover before giving your thoughts, take a visit to my studio have a look at some of the work and if you still care to see my RL work IM me, then and only then I will accept your comments, I specfically say not the calendar when I ask for views, but this disscussion is now over,  I want to thank everyone and no hard feeling towards anyone   its nothing personal and I know that yours and the others too.

Greek

greek Wingtips wrote:

Thank you for comment, but please read the book not the cover before giving your thoughts, take a visit to my studio have a look at some of the work and if you still care to see my RL work IM me, then and only then I will accept your comments, I specfically say not the calendar when I ask for views, but this disscussion is now over,  I want to thank everyone and no hard feeling towards anyone   its nothing personal and I know that yours and the others too.

Greek

Ok, hold on a minute. You did not say, in the original post, that the calendar was off limits to critique. In fact, you emphasize several times that "Myself and my partner are within each month this is to highlight the high standards of photo's we take in SL"  "take a copy of this great calender" "looks great in your home or premcies"... which implies, indeed, that this is the quality to expect when dealing with your studio. Since this calendar IS an example of your work, it is fair game to any critique you ask for. The critiques you have gotten so far have been completely valid in their points. The photo work on this calendar is NOT a mark of a quality studio that would encourage customers to seek their services. Sorry to be blunt, but that's how it is. Basically, if the "high standards of photo's we take in SL" means "get on this pose stand and I'll stick a bunch of stock photography behind you" then, thanks, but no thanks. Anybody can do that.

I will let you in on a little secret (that's not so secret, but has evidently eluded you). Freebies aren't given out based on the fact that "Oh here's something that probably wouldn't sell well, I'll just set it as a freebie." or "Let me whip something up real quick, it doesn't have to be great because it's going to be a freebie." No. Absolutely NOT! A freebie needs to be a high quality example of your work that you're willing to give out freely as a marketing tactic. It needs to be high quality, because that will show prospective customers that you do high quality work, not crappy work that wouldn't sell in the first place. Basic business 101... I think you missed many classes.

A practical example of the above.. of the items I make on my main, many times when I make a new batch, I'll take one that I think is one of the best examples, and add it to my freebies. This always brings in way more NEW business than that item, set to sell would make on it's own. This is not rocket science.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.