Buying a laptop for SL. Does anyone have exp with this one? HP EliteBook 8540p BW573US Notebook PC

Jeannie Jannings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 answers to this question

Hello Jeannie and welcome to SL Forums. Most of specs are good enough for SL but i can't say the same for the graphics card. Quadro cards have different drivers that are not optimized for games. The NVS series is optimized for business applications and stability and may therefore perform a bit worse in games due to the special drivers and BIOS optimizations. I clear that i don't say that you won't run SL but i am not sure if you can run it with high graphics. Medium performance is more possible. Maybe an Nvidia GT 500M series is preferable (525 or 540 or 550).

• Like 1

In general, avoid notebooks if you can.  As the description on this one says, "Stay current on your email, business contacts, social networking and web browsing.... "  It's designed for business and casual use, not for gaming.  It has an NVidia graphics chip, not a removeable graphics card, so you will probably need to operate on Low (maybe Medium) qualilty graphics in SL.  If you want a portable computer, you'd be better off looking at a gaming-quality laptop.  It will be pricier, but you'll get much better performance from it and will enjoy SL much more.

• Like 1

That's a clearance item.  Tiger Direct is clearing out their inventory for this computer.  Did you read the "Limited Return" policy?  I'm not one to judge something by the price but, in this case (actually laptops in general), if it's less than about $800 USD, it's low end.  Unfortunately laptops are substanially more expensive than desktops.......mostly due to the specialized hardware that fits the cramped space and battery.  You're looking at mid level (at full price) business computer........roughly equvalaent to a $500 desktop encluding a monitor (or a $350 USD box).  You can do better......keep shopping.

• Like 1

How well do you need SL to run?

I was using a laptop that was considerably worse--low frame rates on the lowest graphics settings--but at the time I didn't feel the need for any better.  Although it only took me a couple of months to covet better.

I understand the folks recommending a desktop configuration--you really do get more computer for the dollar. 

I also understand that my choice was SL on laptop, divorce, or no SL.  (Sometimes I'm allowed to hide away in my office, but most of the time it is laptop or go without internet.)   For some people a laptop is the only viable option.

If you need a laptop be prepared to pay extra--maybe quite a bit extra---for high level SL performance.  Or a little bit more for okay SL performance.

Are you in the U.S.?  Here is one that is better than you were looking at for not too much more.  (Not great mind you, but better than the one you linked to--the graphics card is still pretty low end, I estimate you'll get ~20fps with low graphics settings.)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod4860361&navAction=  If you do go the notebook route make sure to shop around.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.