Question about off-sim object placement

dogmouse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello again,

So, I am renting an entire sim (homestead) with all privileges allowed to me. I am wanting to place a few large rocks way off-sim, but i can only move them to the edge of the sim surface edge.  These rocks were specified in the Market place as off-sim objects, so I thought that i wouldnt have a problem placing them way out there, or as far as they could go. 

My question is:

Is there some kind of trick to get the object as far out from the sim edge that I dont know about?

thank you,

~mouse 

The root prim of the object must be withing the sim's boundries.  The root prim is hightlighted in yetllow when you click the object.  There should be space between the rocks and the root prim and you may need to turn the rocks around so that the root is on the sim.  If there isn't a root prim that is spaced away from the rocks, and the object is mod, just rez a box, link it to the rocks, and then move the box as far away from the rocks as it will go, then make it transparent.  You should then  be able to push the transparent box right to the sim edge.  How far the rocks will go out depends on the space between the root prim and the rocks.  If the object is not mod and there is no space between the root prim and the rocks, contact the creator because the rocks are not "off sim" rocks

Thank you for your replies!   Very much appreciated.

So, when i rezz a cube, and link it to the rock object,  ....then when i select/edit the object, i see that the xyz centerpoint is between the two objects.  when i go to move this new linked object, it will only go as far as the xyz centerpoint between them.   Is this correct?    How far apart can i make the two objects?  Is there a limit?

Im at work right now, so that is why im asking...i cant do what you are saying to do atm.  :-)

~m

What matters isn't the center point of the whole linkset. What matters is the center of the root prim. The center of the root prim has to remain over your parcel. Everything else can be off the sim's edge.

The limits for how far apart two prims can be and be linked are based on a rather odd formula having to do with the bounding boxed of all the objects. Thise bounding boxes all generally need to fit within a 40M sphere to link. But small things need to be closer to be linkable. A 0.5 M prim can be no more than a few meters away from another 0.5 M prim ane still be linkable.

So let's say i rez two cubes, and move them apart 60m., and then link them.  WHERE is the root prim in that example?  How do i move the root prim separately from the two cubes?  How do i know if it is "over" the sim?

I think im making this harder than it is to understand, but i just dont get this.  drrrrgggh.  :-(

You can choose what you want to be the root prim. If you select one box, hold shift, then select the next box and link, the last box you selected will be the root prim. So, in your case you want to link the rocks to the box and not the other way around. Select the rocks, hold shift while left clicking on the prim box and link. Now when you select it all, the box should appear yellow and the rocks should appear blue. You should then be able to move the rocks out.

• Like 1

Ah HAAA!!   That makes much more sense to me! I'll try that out tonight!

Thank you Robert, and thanks to the rest of you for probably saying the same exact thing as Robert did.  I think it finally clicked inside my pee brain. 

Thanks,  ya'll rock!

~mouse

The root prim is the prim you clicked on last when you linked them. It is the one that highlights in yellow, instead of blue, when you have it selected for editing. It isn't an arbitrary position between any of the prims. it IS one of the prims in the linkset, and its cener is the same as the center of that prim would be if it wasn't linked to anything.

As an example, I have a nice off-sim rock at my beach.

The big rock is a sculpted prim, and is 30 x 30 x 20 in size. If I 'edit linked' and select just that one prim, it shows the location of its center as a good 24 Meters past the edge of the sim.

The swirling water around the rock is another prim, mostly transparent with an animated texture to simulate the churn of water around the base of the rock, and if selected on its own measures 50 x 50 x 0.25, and is 21 M past the edge of the sim at its center.

The root prim is a small, invisible cube. It is 0.5 M on a side, and is located at x=15, Y = 2 in my sim, way out on the corner of my parcel, but inside my borders. There's another prim right next to it, also invisible, that appears to serve no purpose. I suspect it is there because the maker of the off-shore rock couldn't link the root prim quite as far to one side of the rock and water prims as he wanted to, because of the small size of the root prim. Adding one more small prim a little closer gave the desired root prim a place to anchor to that was within its linking limits.

To assemble that, all 4 parts would have had to start in the same parcel, with their centers inside the sim. The maker would have selected the rock first, to edit that. Then they would shift-click on the water prim, then the extra small cube, and last but not least the small cube at the edge of the linkset that he wanted to use as the root prim. Linking those makes that last-selected prim, way out on the rim, become the root prim for the linkset. Once linked, the two cubes can be set to a 100% transparent texture, since you don't want to see them.

The assembled set can now be slid off the edge of the sim, as long as that small root prim stays over the parcel and within the sim. With the linked prims selected, the invisible root prim cube has bright yellow edges highlighting its position. Just keep that part over the land.The big rock ends up completely outside of the sim, and the water prim surrounding it barely touches the sim with one edge.

I have sold a few 1-prim items that are for off-sim use.

To use such items without a 2nd prim, you have to push the prim to edge of the sim and then rotate the prim so that the visible part of it is the part that's off-sim.

You can get the same effect by linking objects to transparent parent prims, but it may be less efficient.

In principle, you should be able to link just about anything, including poseball-scripted objects, to a transparent parent prim and treat the center of that prim as the center of both/all the linked prims. 

That is, you can even put avatars off-sim if you really want to.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.