Help with SL Viewer - Many features missing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please, please help!! I am able to log in and move around, can even speak with others in real time.  However, my "world" is completely wrong.  I am only a blob of light.  On other people I can only see their hair.  I see outlines of buildings, but the interior isn't showing up, nor are any decorations on the outside.  My cursor is perpetually a circle with an L (the SL currency?).

Can anybody help me?  I'm on a brand new (summer 2011) MacBookPro, latest version of firefox (just uploaded this morning).  I need this website for class and am unable to get around.  ANY help appreciated!!  Below are screen shots of what my friend saw on her computer and what I saw on mine when we met to chat tonight.  In the 2nd photo I'm the blob of light and she's the talking hair to my left.

Thanks!!

Kristin

tamiview.jpg

kristinview.jpg

Not enough info... but I'd guess you're suffering from network issues. Try this: Apple+Shift+1 (that's the number 1 over the "Q", not F1 nor the 1 on the numpad) to bring up the Statistics floater (I hope that's the correct key combination - I don't have an Apple). One of the first lines there is the packet loss indicator. Packet loss should be at 0.000%

It would be helpful if you could provide the following information:

-  What was the last Viewer Name & Version that you had installed which worked correctly ?

-  Paste the "Help About" information from the current viewer that your having issues with ?  You can just highlight, copy & paste that in here.

One thing I notice is you are using LL Viewer3....this is a very intensive drain on even a top machine....switch - immediately! - to either cool VL viewer or phoenix viewer.   Using either could make a huge difference and actually rez your avatar.

Phoenix is listed in the Third Prty Viewers list on the sl webpages, cool vl viewer is not, but is fully TOS compliant, and a simple Google search will find it for you.

firstly come back to a default avatar :

Press control+alt+q to display the developper menu . Maybe the shortcut is different on Mac . ( maybe control+option+q ?? ).

select in this menu Avatars/Tests/Test Female

normally after this you should look like a default avatar and not a cloud

change your outfit after this.

Secondly, to avoid future problems,

Pres control+alt+q to display the developper menu . If you have Textures HTTP checked , uncheck it .

Thirdly , avoid to wear some attachment with too many scripts . When you rez or TP , and you wear too much , it can happen .

fourthly : if it doesn t work , verify in displaying the advanced menu ( probably control+option+d shortcut on mac ) , you display everything in the rendering types submenu Watch this to know how it looks http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Advanced_menu

Thank you guys!!!  The suggestion about Cntrl+alt+Q worked (btw, alt and option are the same key on a mac).  Oddly enough, I now have on minimal things...just a dress and shoes.  My friend took a screenshot of me a few days ago before I could see myself and I had on all sorts of things (glasses, wristbands, legwarmers, gigantic shopping bag...).  Does this command kind of strip things down?  I'm not complaining...the getup my professor gave me was a bit over the top.

And for the suggestion about downloading another viewer...sounds like it would work, but my professor has us doing all sorts of things and I'd like to stay in the same program as the rest of the class.

I cannot thank you all enough for your help!!  What a great community :)

-Kristin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.