Please help cant acccess second life from new computer

KronikPak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently bought a used computer from the store and it is banned from second life i dont know if the prevoius owner was MAC or Hard ware banned but i cannot get onto second life the message that comes up is "Login failed. Second Life cannot be accessed by this computer. If you feel this is a error please contact, at support@secondlife.com." Ive tried everything and the only thing i can think of is the prevoius owner was Hardware or MAC ware banned becuase before my old computer broke i was able to login

3 answers to this question

How do you know that the IP address was blocked by a LL ban?  Did you receive an e-mail telling you that?  Or are you just guessing because you can't log in?  There are many reasons for login failure, and it's impossible for anyone here to guess what your particular problem is unless we have more information.  You can add important information to your post by clicking on the Options link in its upper right corner and selecting EDIT.  Please do NOT start a new thread.

For starters, tell us exactly what error messages you are getting, if any. Tell us about your computer, its graphics card, its Internet connection....  What SL viewer are you using?  Have you ever been able to log in before?

If you purchased this computer as a used computer and it was hardware banned (by banning MAC addresses for hardware installed in your computer) you'll need to contact Linden Lab, explain the problem and hope they will believe you and un ban the computer.  The other option is to find what hardware specifically was banned.  The most likely candidates are your network card, video card, or hard drive.  It could be all of the above........there's no way of knowing and LL isn't going to tell you.  You can start with the easiest and least expensive device.........the network card (replace it).  It might as simple as that or you might have to start replacing hardware devices one at a time until you get the right one.

Whatever the previous owner of the computer did to get banned, LL took seriously and made it difficult for anyone using that computer to get back into SL.  And because of whatever it was that caused such a serious action on LL's part means that you are probably going to have a difficult time conveniencing them that you are not that person.  If you think about it you'll understand.  Anyone who's been banned could say that it's not me, I bought this computer used and I didn't do it.......how is LL supposed to know you are not the same person they banned on purpose and just lying to get the ban lifted?  That's pretty much impossible so you have to plead you case and hope LL believes you. 

Purchasing used computers is always risky.  Not only for things like you are experiencing, there's the very real possibility that the previous owner installed a trojan or virus that you would never know about and your identity and real life safety is at risk.  But it's up to you..........you saved a few bucks and you get what you paid for.

Kronik,

If indeed your new/used PC's network card MAC address has been banned by LL you can change it on some PC/OS combinations. The following link discusses how to do this.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkprotocolsip/a/macaddressing_2.htm

However -

If you are a Premium Account member, get a ticket into the Support Queue explaining this problem you are experiencing. Assuming that a ban is the culprit, LL can lift it. Be prepared to clearly prove you are NOT the person who the ban was instituted against. Based on my conversations with 2 friends in a similar situation, be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks for this to be resolved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.