Second Life Vs Linden Research

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Again tonight I was around a chat and suddenly a few black flickers and my second life client crashed. However before I hit ok. I could still hear others with the same issue. They had also mentioned how it had effected them days before. I was also a victum of those times are more.

First off lets make this clear, it has been reported MANY times, by me and others. My video card is not going out nor is there a problem with my drivers. Ive been through 3 versions alone this week. The attacks and sctipt floods and what have you that have been going on in Ahern and other places are uncalled for and its time to STOP blaming us users who are caught in the cross fire. I can be a nobody to many but lets get real if Linden labs has any intrest in getting new people and KEEPING them. This is a big issue of its own. Usually I just say its "second life" but lets be honest. Something needs done cause im no longer going to put money into it here when whever you join you freeze and get knocked off.  I know others are as well if it doesnt stop.

If this was just Ahern I would laugh it off, but this is many other places to, like clubs, hangouts, etc.  So we know this is the internet is not to take it serious etc.. The issues im speaking about is when you join places and your lagged and your video card get attacked causing your SL client to crash. When you have many others around you talking about it and suddenly bam people so dropping like flies. Heres some info ... from Event Viewer

The program Firestorm-Release.exe version 3.2.2.24336 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 9af4

Start Time: 01cccead82ba15f5

Termination Time: 40

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Firestorm-Release\Firestorm-Release.exe

Report Id: ffbbc92b-3aa0-11e1-b7bf-6cf0495e0747

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.

This same errors also occur with SL viewer 3.2.4.246449

You're absolutely right although I never knew it was a texture doing it.

I've been reporting these (they are often difficult to report because they slow everything down to a crawl and your videocard heats up fast and usually the driver itself fails) to no avail so, I just outright stopped. It seems second life is being destroyed from the inside out as people go around from welcome area to welcome area and no one can stop it or it would have been stopped.

It's too bad this community has changed so much, it really makes everything extra difficult for those who are still using this platform legitimately for business and socializing and whatnot. I hope Lindens are on the case; I'm sure something can be done? 

like u say they a real pain. runitai linden and the gfx team been working really hard on the gfx pipeline to make all the shining fixes for the newer gfx cards. thats their priority right now seems like. i think they right to make that the priority. after they get all that done then is possible it will also fix a lot of the probs that deliberate malformed textures can cause

seems to be several mods that ppl can do to make a homebrew greifer tpv that not crash themselves, just everyone else. linden seems to be well aware of the problem as the accounts that make these kinda things get deleted from the people list pretty quick  

eta: one way ppl can help is to turn on the crash logger. linden tech then get hard data direct about these problems. that way seems to be more effective to get changes and fixes than make a AR that gets filtered thru the governance team who maybe not always have the knowledge to deal with these kinda probs

eta again (: just to be complete. sometimes the greif vector is a bug exploit in the gfx driver. linden cant do much about them bc they have to write to the api standard and not try do tricks of their own to get around them. is way to hard to start down that way and is counter-productive really. those kinda bugs need be fixed by the driver makers themselfs 

I would normally agree with you, however at this point I think having a Gforce 590 or Radeon 6990 or even close to it. Is a very small list of users on here. Not only that the amount of bandwidth required for it since many isps around the world have caps. Makes it a priority down the line.

Do I believe making a better client? Of course? Do I believe users need to send in information? Its where you can get info straight from the horses mouth.

Is banning these people the answer .. Yeah right. They just sign up for a new account. How many people have several accounts from bans. I've atleast heard of many. What they don't like is they loose what they have on their main account.

I think this has become everyone else's problem, yet its all of our problems ... Meaning we've become part of it. Something needs done, but when its happening more than once a day in many places Linden needs to work on a solution.

most the shining fixes directed at nvidia 400 series up and equivalent other makers. seems quite a few ppl been having trouble with them even with only basic shaders on. has been all kinds of jiras about that. so linden been rewriting heaps of code to make sl work for them

when is free to play then is a game of whack a mole when it comes to throwaway greifer accounts. sl allows user generated content as well. so that makes it harder to police. can make a more controlled world like blue mars or there.com. is trade offs tho when u do that

ppl have all kinds of views on throwaway accounts and even free to play. i dont know what is a lasting solution for that. not sure if there is even one. fake id and all that comes into if someone is determined to greif any online game or world

can only really harden up ur servers as best u can and respond as quick as u can to any abuses when they come to ur attention

So far here today heres the names of atleast one person with these names. Maybe track to see where its coming from and contact isp that harassing things are coming from them if its all the same etc. but of course if they are rerouting/faking ip's then new course of action.

Eachbannequals45cracheslulzzzzz

ubanmeicrashyyoululzzzzzzzzzzzz

jiggaboolatte

powladomyshoe

eatmyshoesrightnow

letsgocaligirlluld

iwannaplaylulu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.