Crash problem: SL won't load anymore even after re-installing.

LyndaNecho

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am running on SL using Windows 7 (64-bit).  Everything had been working fine, then I changed some graphics settings and SL crashed.  When I tried to re-open, it crashed immediately (I didn't even get a chance to log in).  I tried several times, even after re-booting the system, with no success.  I re-installed SL and still it crashes before really opening. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit 1 (because I can't figure out how to reply to your suggestion):  I don't get a chance to log in.  There is no log-in screen.  The SL window shows up for about 2 seconds, with no content or tool bars, then goes away and a crash report gets filed.  So I can't adjust my preferences until the crash problem is fixed.

3 answers to this question

If you crashed due to a graphics setting, chances are that setting is something your video card objects to in a violent way.  You need to undo that setting.  If you can get to the log in screen, go to your preferences before you attempt to log in.  Change the setting that caused your crash back to what it was before, okay (or apply) and shut down the viewer.  I would wait a few minutes, perhaps reboot the computer.  Then try logging back in.

• Like 1

If it's happening even after you re-installed the viewer, then you probably didn't remove the previous installation completely before you re-installed.  You'll need to get rid of the user data files as well as the viewer's exe file.  See >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_clean_reinstall for instructions about finding and deleting those files.  That page is on the Firestorm support website, but the same process works for all viewers (although the filenames will differ).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.