big news from Karl's project

tomm Pye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Who says that? Qarl doesn't say that. Actually, that is refuted in the video. If you make SL mesh clothing, you start from the base model, you create from there. Any other version is just a modification from that. The Jacket that Qarl uses is an old model, I have it. Now, if something changes drastically from here, like an on/off for each mesh inside the edit window. Yeah, the creators will need to release updated versions. No big deal really. I guess if you were a small merchant and sold a ton of mesh clothing, and don't have the workflow yet to send out mass updates, then you be scrambling a bit. It's not like all mesh are broken, cause this only affects rigged meshes.

Heck, i just sent out thousands of mesh Lycan avatars not 2 days ago. Took the updater over 6 hours to process them all.

I spent some time testing it. "Almost ready" is not what I would call it. I would call it "a great start that I'm sure includes a lot of very complex mathematics that I am completely unaware of but needs a lot of work and refinement before it will be usable in sl for anything". :) But that's a lot more words. And Qarl never said "almost ready" either. This is very early alpha. I would really not be expecting it in official release sl for some time yet.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Who says that? Qarl doesn't say that.

Qarl himself did actually, in his jira. How I missed the fact the project has changed since I don't know, especially since I watched the video from beginning to end when it was posted a couple of days ago. It looks like existing mesh (aswell as physics and custom avatars) will work with the deformer, you're right about that, my mistake.

However... existing mesh wasn't optimised for the deformer, so the results may be poor. I haven't done any rigging myself, but I suspect the clothing made for  the deformer would be quite different in shape than the stuff currently on sale. It would work, but in a similair way the SL skirt does and I think we can all agree that's not pretty...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.