need to know linden rules on performing weddings

Angelica Ormenthal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope. Because there is nothing "Legal" in the firt place about Partnering or holding a wedding ceremony for avatars.

Designating someone as your SL Partner does only one thing - it puts the partner's name in the other perspn's profile as their Partner. It conveys no other rights or privileges.

Holding a wedding ceremony in a virtual world also carries absolutely no legal significance, so anyone could do it, in any way they choose. It means nothing legally.

It can be fun to perform a wedding ceremony for friends, or to have a nice ceremony with the participants all dressed up, and in a pretty setting, whe you're getting Partnered with your special someone. But that is all it is - just fun. Make-believe fiction. I've officiated at a wedding before in SL. I spent a lot of time planning the ceremony, and making sure we had pose balls pre-set so the bride and groom could stand at the altar, kiss, and do other things as part of the ceremony, an altar that was properly decorated, and the rest of the setting to hold the ceremony in, on land they rented for the occasion. But most of it was just text chat descriptions, as I recited the ceremony and they responded for their parts of the vows. There is no regulatory agency for weddings in SL, because they are entirely unofficial.

I have to wonder if there could possibly be a 'legal' wedding ceremony performed via SL, much like the wartime weddings that were held over the radio, with the soldier and his chaplain at a radio on the front lines, and his fiancee / bride-to-be at a radio in their home country, with a priest who had the appropriate civil paperwork in hand and to be turned in to church and / or civil authorities, and a witness at each end as well. If the person performng the ceremony was a legally ordained minister / priest / rabbi, or whatever, or a civil servant like a justice of the peace, able to perform a legal ceremony, and if the participants filled out the real-world civil paperwork at each end and had witnesses at each end in the real world, I guess you could do a "real" wedding. But I certainly wouldn't want to do it that way, unless, like a war bride, there was no other way to marry my real-world loved one before they went into a life-threatening situation.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

To reply to Ceera's prescient comment from ten years ago, maybe something like a global pandemic would allow online weddings?!  ;)  In the US, a number of states that allowed online marriage during the pandemic have repealed it. And where it is still valid, they require some level of videoconferencing for at least the officiant and witnesses. Interesting to see the direction this has taken and where it will go.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.