Mac graphics issue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if any other Mac users out there were having issues since mesh.  I have a MacBook Pro that is about two years old.  It's running OSx 10.5.8, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB SDRAM, NVDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card.  I've used this laptop to run SL for over two years with only the normal problems.  Since mesh was implemented inworld I began to have problems with overheating.  I first noticed my computer just lock up for no reason.  I'd have to force a shut down and let it cool down.  I searched the web and found some free software that not only monitors the internal heat but lets you manually adjust the fan speed.  It seems lately I can be in SL for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before it locks up.  This is even running the fans full speed as I see the temp rise.  It's funny too since I can be surfing the web and the temp stays about 102.  As soon as I log into SL it runs up to 125 in seconds and then steadily climbs into the 140's and eventually the low 150's until it locks up.  If I restart and log in again I get about one sentence in chat before it locks up so I just give up and let it sit overnight to cool down.  I'm sure this is slowly killing my laptop.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this and wish someone could give me an idea of how to "fix" this issue.  

I know some will suggest getting a game ready PC but I'm a Mac person.  I assume this is a graphic card problem but I'd hate to buy a new computer just to run this game.  Any help out there?

Hi Blazey,

I had shutdown problems a couple years ago with my 2.33GHz MacBook Pro. The problem turned out to be a dust bug (bunnies are too big to get into a laptop) that had stalled the GPU fan. I had to pop the top to blow it clean (prolly not possible on a unibody MacBook Pro, the bottom would have to come off and that won't expose the fans). If the fan is stalled, temps will climb quickly and when they reach the top limit, MacOS will start throttling back the GPU clock. That eventually peeves SLV to the point it crashes.

I don't know how to tell if a fan is stalled other than by examination. You may be able to blow compressed air into one of the grills under the hinge, but that didn't work on mine.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

I can hear the fan running when I turn it up (with the application I downloaded).  It's possible it may be partially blocked though.  We have a golden retriever that sheds worse than a elm tree in fall. I may attempt to get inside one of these days.  There is a door on bottom for battery and I would assume there are screws beneath that to open the case.  I'll search online before I do.

A quick fix would be to ...

Don't put the lappy on a wooden or textile surface.

An old spare tile (kitchen, bathroom) underneath the lappy helps a bit to keep it coool and clean.

Even better, put a cooling stand underneath your lappy, you know these things with build-in fan.

Try to have as much air as possible underneath and around the machine. Using a laptop on your lap or in bed is actually the worst position.

Don't use compresssed air from a spray can, it'll just blow the dust around inside the machine.

Use a vacuum cleaner on full power to suck the dust out of the machine.

Try to dismantle the lappy as far as possible, unscrew all that is unscrewable before applying the vacuum. Be careful to not break any seals and void your warranty. Best solution would be to bring it into service and have a professional cleaning.

Something I've often seen with laptops (and not just Mac) is a lent and dust buildup between the cooling fan and cooling fans, it can build up to the point where it looks like a blanket and completely cuts off air flow.  Only sure way of clearing it out is to disassemble the laptop enough to get either the fan or fins out then remove the buildup then blow air through the fins till they are all clear.  Just blowing air in through the outside vent probably will not be enough to dislodge much of the buildup, or you end up blowing chunks of it into other places and causing more damage.

ETA: Disassembling a laptop computer is far more difficult then one in a desktop case, it's really easy to damage to where it will not go back together correctly and/or not work correctly.  Probably not a good idea to try doing it yourself.

I have used a Rain Design iLap since I bought the computer.  It doesn't have fans but keeps it raised from my lap and I think is made from aluminum.  I agree taking a laptop apart is no easy task and from what I've seen on the web, this model is a bit more difficult.  I know the fans are running but as suggested they may have a layer of dust reducing the efficency.  I'll try Mac users group but I tried that once before a long time ago with no results.  Maybe it has gotten better now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.