Emails from SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I quite often receive emails from people in a group and on the email there is an option to reply. I was wondering if this option will direct the said reply to the sender's SL message box or would it go to their own personal email address? I would like to contact someone in this way but would not want them to think I had accessed their RL email address.

I hope this enquiry makes sense to everyone and I thank you in advance for any feedback.

Neil

That redirect is time limited, 5 days.  In other words, that reply link is only for that particular IM session, and will not be valid for emailing the same person at any time.  It is also only available after an IM session has been established in SL, and you cannot initiate contact by email.

From http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Instant-messages/ta-p/700089

Offline instant messages

Instant messages (IMs) can be emailed to you offline at the email address in your Second Life contact information. This feature can be useful to Second Life business owners, socialites, or anyone else who needs to be able to respond to IMs when they are not inworld.

If you reply via email to an IM, the original sender receives an IM. You still receive the forwarded IMs the next time you log in (up to 25, because of a technical limit), but you do not see any replies you've made via email.

32px-KBtip.png Tip: When replying to an IM by email, there are some limits to keep in mind. For one, you should remove any quoted text from your reply, because instant messages have a maximum length of 1023 characters — if your message is longer than this limit, you receive an automated reply stating that your message was too long to be sent. Also, as stated on the Limits page, you have up to 5 days to reply.

Thanks Kenbro, but the problem actually worked itself out. I have a pretty crazy email server who is very choosy about what he sends out and he chose not to send my reply. However I was able to contact the person through the group chat so the reply was not necessary. Thanks for taking time to send such a detailed reply and I'm glad it was useful to someone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.