Sim Physics FPS issue

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I don't know if this is just a SLunday thing, but I've been seeing periodic massive (>10FPS) but transient drops in Physics FPS figures on my sim.  Sim FPS and TD remain high as normal, so it's not like what was happening a couple of weeks ago when TD would crash as well.  This isn't related to TPs in or out on my sim at least.

Is anyone else seeing this effect, or is it just our sim?  Our prims are well under the allocation and scripts at about 1300, with plenty of free time showing in stats. FWIW it is a LeTigre Homestead.

Anyone care to offer a sensible explanation?

It's hard to know what is happening with the SL Viewer since we no longer have a Viewer User Group. 

We do know that the render pipeline and user interface have been changing. Also, parts of the inventory access is changing. If you open the Fast Timers (Ctrl-Shift-9  ...a toggle) you can see where the viewer is spending its time.

You can open the textures panel (Cntrl-Shift-3) and watch how the system is handling texture downloads.

Something in Find Widgets (I have no idea what the viewer thinks a widget is...) periodically shows a spike and drives FPS down. Some times the User Interface burns up a  large part of the frame time.

SL doesn't do much multi-threading. If you only have a couple of CPU cores, other processes on your computer can degrade performance. Use the Task Manager or Performance Monitor to see what else is running. You can sort on CPU use to bring active processes to the top of the list.

@Nalates

Thanks for the reply.  I don't think it's a local CPU issue, I have an Intel i7 processor so there are plenty of cores and threads to go round!  But I did check and nothing seems to be eating processor cycles (nothing I've caught yet anyway!:smileywink:).

I run Phoenix BTW, so I doubt that current LL Viewer issues will affect me.  I will be migrating to Firestorm soon, now the official release is out so who knows?

'S a bit of an oddity!:smileyhappy:

Hi Ayesha

You are definitely not the only one experieincing this.  For the last three to four weeks it has been a problem on all 11 sims..full & homestead.  This also has happened on my new full sim which is well below the prim allocation with Scripts low.The Sim FPS & Physics FPS have always pretty much tracked togetherrat 44.9 to 45.1 on mine...but lately , while the Sim FPS will stay up there, the Physics FPS drops to as low as .02 ...the sim grinds to a halt.......and with no more than one or two avies on it....and no one TP'ng in or out.   Sometimes it has cleared up  after a few seconds......but lately, low physics FPS will stay low....If I can get the Estate Window to open on the affected sim at this time, I can do a restart and it will clear it up for a while.  For me anyway, this is the same problem that was occuring a couple of weeks agao.

All who I ask who are on the sims affected are feelign the same thing and use different viewers .so it does not appear to be client related....and no one is sure exactly what is happening.  I do know that the Second Life Server rollout of I think 10/31 seemed to fix the problem for a whilte..but then it came back.

All of my sims are on the main SL Servers. 

@All

Not sure what's going down here, but something is.  From being simply spikes of low Physics FPS this is escalating into a serious issue, though not on my home sim yet...

We are back to spikes in TD and Sim FPS as well as physics, so I'm guessing that some memory hungry sim is now also on the same server as us (21110).  Thankfully at home the spikes are few and far between, but I'm seeing more in other sims and it ain't me..others see them as well, simultaneously.

So, we're almost back to square one with the crash/spike fixes, or so it seems.  Anyone got a clue as to what's going on?

I don't mean to sound negative, but this is not good.  Any software can have bugs, but I now wonder if the upgraded OS is uncovering more than before.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.