timeout issue on v2

Mallory Cerise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

please read the description below. the upshot: there was a persistent timeout issue, one of the recent releases of v2 fixed it, and now I'm back to the same problem after unplugging some wires for the internet in the router (let's just say that no one in the household can really grasp the mysteries of networking). my internet is working fine, but v2 times out again, immediately. it could also be the latest update because two things happened around the same time (i.e., messing with the router and installing the update). but would my ip address change cause this at all? what else could have reintroduced the problem?

"I inevitably get the "you've been logged out of SecondLife" message whenever I try to use the official SL Viever or *any other second generation viewer*. I'd say this happens after a minute or two. what might be the *underlying problem* that prevents me from using SL Viewer any second generation viewer? I realize it is a timeout issue.

the graphic settings are on low. I have tried adjusting the bandwidth limit. I am on Snow Leopard + cable internet connection (RCN).

other things I've tried:
changing my network settings to Google public domain
clearing cache and small things like that
since my previous hard-drive died a few months ago, I got a new drive, no data retrieved. the 2nd generation viewers worked neither before that "clean reinstall" nor after it.
I tried using it on my laptop (the same internet connection), but it didn't work either, so it's safe to assume it's not a hardware issue.

I live in the States."

if anyone wants to PM me with this, feel free to.

2 answers to this question

Thank you for providing such a careful description of your problem.  I'm not confident that we can hit on a solution right away, but your post at least helps rule out  whole class of possibilities. If a small window appears, saying that you have been logged out of SL, this isn't a crash. Rather, SL is disconnecting you, for one of a number of reasons, including:

• The region you are in is going down;
  • During teleport, the SL servers may fail to hand you over to your destination and so log you out;
  • Your network connection has gone down;
  • Your network connection has become poor or unreliable and SL has lost contact with your avatar.

If this is happening consistently, it's clearly not because a sim server is going off line.  You didn't mention a teleport connection, so that's also unlikely (but check to be sure that your firewall isn't blocking outbound  TCP port 12043, just in case).  My guess is that it's something local, and my first suspicion is always that it's the router's fault.  The fastest way to find out is to bypass the router by plugging your computer's Internet cable directly into the modem.   If you don't disconnect, then it IS the router.  Check all settings and connections carefully.

The other thing that can cause a computer to disconnect consistently after only a minute or two is overheating.  If that's the problem, then it's potentially serious.  Heat can destroy components and be very expensive.  Open your computer case and use a can of air to blow out any accumulated dust bunnies and cat hair.  Be sure that you have adequate ventilation, even if that means installing an extra fan or two in the case.  You can also go on line and look for free software that will monitor your computer's temperature and speed up the fans if it's getting too hot. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.