protection script

FrozenHonor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello recently some female freinds of mine have been the subject of abuse on SL they are having some sort of illegal rape chain script attached to them giving this sick indvidual control of their avitar... what i want to know is there a script i can get to help protect them.... or where are some resources to learn teh scripting and write it my self also if there are people out there willing to help me .... i want to protect my friends im tired of feeling helpless with this happens.... thank you

Frozen

• Like 1

If they accepted some sort of scripted device and are wearing it, all they have to do is detach it to remove any permission that they would have given implicitly.  Open inventory, select the WORN tab, and start systematically removing any objects that do not look familiar.  And if they are using a viewer that allows them to have RLV enabled, they should turn it off.

Now, there is no script that you could write or get that will protect them.  The best thing you can do is identify the griefer and file an AR.  Do NOT take any aggressive action yourself.  Griefers would like nothing better than to have you attack so that they can righteously file an AR against you and have LL ban you from SL.  The wise philosopher, Mr. Miyagi, offered the best advice: "Best defence, not be there."

• Like 1

and if it is being placed upon her unwillingly? there must be some method of prevention...thank you for the assistance

in addtion i am fairly new to SL and use a standard veiwer firestorm... in attempts to stay close and comfort my freind this scum attached a "chain " to my avi thusly i do not think its do to teh veiwer again as i said im new to sl and not familiar with sls so if i am vastly wrong in some way i apologize

Frozen

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "giving this sick indvidual control of their avitar"?    From your description, it sounds as one thing they're doing is drawing a particle chain with your friend or you as the target.    When a particle chain has a avatar as the target, as opposed to an attachment the avatar is wearing, it will, unfortunately, aim for groin.    There's ways you can stop seeing it yourself, but others will still see it and the only way to stop it happening is to abuse report the person for harassment and tp somewhere else.

However, that's not really "taking control" of the avatar, so I am wondering what else he's doing.  

What's happening to your friend, exactly?  There's several regulars in this forum (including me) who make BDSM toys for consensual RP, so between us we can probably figure out what techniques this person is using to grief your friend and suggest ways of stopping it.  

But we certainly need more information about exactly what form this "control" takes before we can make suggestions that are more than just guesses.

with more reserch ive found out its a forced or closed collar RLV hud and quite litterly give him full control over her he talks though her contorls her abily to move poses her is able to dress and undress her at will and speak through her avi...........its a difficult thing to watch

aswell as contorls her abilty to tp away... in addtion she cannot remove any items attached to her or even do a avi reset locks it all very very total control her screen is locked until she is released for lack of a better term

sorry for the fragmented posting

Frozen

RLV is a viewer installed on the user's PC. No one can force a user to install the RLV, yet sadly many install it willingly. My question always was if it can take control of a user's avatar what else can it take control of in the user's PC?

So, if your friend installed an RLV viewer, she should simply uninstall it from her PC and install a regular SL viewer. There is no possibility of anyone gaining control of an avatar via a regular SL viewer.

As others have said, all your friend has to do is relog with the normal viewer, or even simply turn off RLV in the viewer she's using (exactly how she does this depends on which viewer she's using; if it's Phoenix she unchecks Enable Restrained Love [RLVa] Features, on the Phoenix tab; I can't offhand remember where it is in Firestorm), and relogs, at which point it will stop working.    She has to relog, though.

Then she can remove the collar, which otherwise would still be able to control her avatar without RLV but not to anything like the same extent, and destroy it.

All TPVs, as far as I know, apart from Singularity, that have RLV have it turned off by default; that is, you have to locate it in preferences and turn it on and relog to make it work (I think even the Restrained Love Viewer makes you turn it on and relog, but I'm not certain).  

How on earth did your friends (I see you refer to them in the plural) all of them get talked into accepting collars from this person and then turning RLV on and relogging, which they almost certainly must have done in order to activate it, without any of them asking what RLV was and why they needed to go to the trouble of activating it?

ETA

Most RLV collars do have a facility to free yourself anyway.    The popular Open Collar, for example, lets the wearer simply say <prefix>+runaway (so, I for example, would say izrunaway in open chat, since my initials are iz), which removes any owners from the collar, so whoever is controlling it can't, any more, and also removes all RLV restrictions.   There are some collars, I think, that don't let you do this, but the only ones I can think of cost a couple of thousand L$ and aren't the sort of thing most people would be handing out.  

It would be possible to change the scripts in an Open Collar to remove the ability to escape, of course, if you knew what you were doing, but it would be tricky.

I don't understand what you mean by "forced or closed collar RLV hud " -- I'd be interested to know the name of the item your friends were tricked into wearing.   

RLV does not "take control" of anything in the sense you mean; i.e. it cannot suddenly make the viewer start doing things it isn't intended to be able to do, or grab control anything outside of the viewer itself.  

RLV is not some "magic" virus or worm that attaches itself to the program code or operating system, and subverts it.  All RLV is, is a protocol which defines a set of commands which can be sent from in-world objects to the viewer through special messages "spoken" via llOwnerSay().  The viewer is programmed to watch for these special text strings, and then enable or disable certain features depending on the message that was passed.

So, for example, if you want to make a collar non-detachable, a script inside the collar says "@detach=n" via llOwnerSay (so that the string is only spoken to the object owner, i.e. the wearer, and not to the sim at large).  An RLV-enabled viewer is programmed to watch for messages received via llOwnerSay that start with "@", so when it sees "@detach=n" come from an object, it merely sets a flag in a data table somewhere, which says "this object is now non-detachable."  Then, if the user tries to do anything which would result in detaching the object, the viewer is programmed to check those flags to see whether detaching is allowed or not before actually performing the action or displaying the menus and buttons.

That's all it does.  RLV has no means of accessing anything on your PC outside of the viewer, nor can it make your viewer do anything it isn't already programmed to do.

void after hearing this girl cry in in frustration over skype i think i would know a little better this is not at a bdsm club this atttack happens at random in a club that is rated M... LL has been invovled and baned this user previously a direct quote from a linden labs rep is this is a "highly illegal hud" like they have never seen before trust me when i say this is not somthing either of my freinds want to be subject too and i would not be here if there were any chance i were mistaken while i respect your opinion if you are here to be cyncial please do move on

on a more preductive not would uninstalling and reinstalling a veiwer which does not support RLV be a viable fix? or once this hud has been applyed once would it auto default a RLV freindly setting? again for those of you trying to help thank you

Frozen

• Like 1

Uninstalling the RLV viewer and logging in with one that doesn't support RLV will certainly fix the problem.   Your friend can also, come to that, fix the problem just as effectively by disabling RLV in the viewer she's using and relogging -- there's no need for her to give up using Firestorm or whatever just because she doesn't want to use RLV.

Once she's done either of those two things, the hud can have no effect on her.

All RLV commands are issued in the form llOwnerSay("some command").   That means they can only be issued by something that belongs to the avatar they affect.   

It follows, therefore, that in order for this person to be able to do stuff to your friend, she must be wearing an object that accepts commands from this chap and then relays them in form llOwnerSay(whatever).    Either she's wearing a collar of some sort that's set to accept commands from him or she's wearing something called an RLV Relay that accepts commands from an object he owns.    There is no other way this can be happening with RLV.    

If she simply relogs using the standard viewer, she can take the damn thing off, whatever it is, and there's an end to the problem.     Even if she later relogs using an RLV viewer, she's in no danger of anyone controlling her she doesn't want to let control her so long as she's cautious about accepting stuff from people she doesn't know and, if she uses a relay to interact with RLV-enabled furniture, pays attention to the relay settings and also makes a note of how to turn the relay off and cancel the restrictions it's set (which all good relays will allow her to do).

This mysterious hud of his, on its own, is completely innocuous, or at least as far as RLV is concerned.  There's other stuff it might be able to do with animation permissions, but that's nothing to do with RLV.  I use RLV and I know there's nothing he could to do to me with it unless, wittingly or unwittingly, I enabled him so to do.

As I said earlier, if your friends are using a viewer that has RLV enabled, disable it.  They should also remove any offending attachments.  Trust Innula's advice, and ask her if you have any questions about how to do those steps.  If your friends want the additional peace of mind that they might gain from uninstalling the viewer and either installing a fresh copy or switching to a different viewer, that couldn't hurt.  Understand, though, that simply uninstalling the viewer itself will not delete the cached user files associated with it.  To do a clean reinstall, see http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_clean_reinstall  .  Those instructions will work for any viewer, although the file names will be different.

As each person who responded has said, the bottom line is that you cannot be forced to do anything against your will, but you can voluntarily give other people permission to have control over your av and your possessions. Before you give permission for anything, be sure that you understand what you're doing and whom you are giving permission to.

now admitedly i am fairly new to SL and i am not experanced with teh RLV program...or its affects or language or arcitecture what i can tell you however is that after having a LL agent log in to her account and manually whipe  her avi to default ie she was wearing nothing other that default library items and banning his account i was there watching this as it happened with admin on the land we were on freezeing her to keep her from being tped away that this happened again... im sorry i am not well versed in all of this but if were as simple oh she didnt take it off i would thing the LL agent might have been able to do that for her however i thank you all for the imformation i have alot more plan of action than i did before as i find out more i will continue to seek help from those being helpful again thank you

Frozen

to be clear, my statement wasn't made with cynicism, quite the opposite... because the only alternative is that this friend

downloaded a third party viewer

enabled RLV controls

bought or was given an RLV relay

attached said relay

then authorized this other user to control it.

undoing any of those actions (use the official client, disable RLV, delete the relay*, detach the relay*, remove authorization**) would immediately halt the other persons access to and control of it. (*the last 3 options are not available on all devices, but the first two are always available)

there ARE devices that will force animations on an avatar that do not require RLV, but rather a one time grant of permissions. however these devices do NONE of the other things mentioned (and to my knowledge not even RLV will force a person to say anything, the closest one can get is having an object with the same name say something which comes up in a different color and clicking it's name in chat history will tell you that it's an object and who owns it).

given all these facts, and your admitted newness, the conclusion I came to is actually the kindest one... the alternatives are far crueler. Furthermore I have sincere doubts that any LL employee would describe something as "A highly illegal hud" (although it's vaguely possible that an "eternally ignorant of inworld" live chat staffer could have uttered such a ridiculous thing)

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Yeah, the simplest and quickest way to be sure that whatever attachment was causing the trouble got removed would be to log in with the standard SL viewer -- which I imagine is what "LL Agents" use -- and reset her avatar to default.   That certainly removes everything.

But what's this about "freezing her to keep her from being tp-d away again"?  The only way to stop some from TP-ing, whether voluntarily or involuntarily is by using RLV, for heavens sake!    The "Freeze" option available to landowners just stops you moving for 30 seconds.   You can still TP, or be TP-d, to another sim.

What are you saying happened again, after you and the agent had done all this?

yes they had to spam freese on her to prevent her from being tped away i talked with the actual land ower and the found teh hud in the log.... its called "barbi doll RLV trap" and it looks like its not anywhere on her avi and is affecting her server side as apposed to a convental remote access hud so yea alot more complicated than i orignally thought

and yes after the LL agent did all of this it happened again thats why i stoped going to linden labs and tryed to look for answers in the community

also possibly of imporatance is that this friend has an older cpu and can only run veiwer one witch has no advanced options capable of disableing rlv... on the toher hand know what i know now about the way i think this works im not sure that would affect it anyway

Let's start with basics.  What viewer is your friend using, or, rather, what viewer was she using when all this happened to her?

ETA  If the landowner was able to locate this "Barbi Doll RLV Trap" rezzed on the land, that suggests to me it's not a hud at all; it's some sort of capture device which can only work on someone using an active RLV relay which she's set to accept commands.    The trap talks to her relay on channel -1812221819.   That's the way the things work.  Take a look at the RLV api and the RLV Relay api

to be honest i think is "rlv" only in its desired use not in its overall form or function....what i think its doing is it has though some method or another captured her server id number and poses as her to the server allowing it to seize totall control over her avi chat and everything else witch i understand a standard RLV hud will not and cannot do. as such its a :"rlv" in its desired affect is to control her the way an rlv would but is not infact what this is .... its somthing differant afecting her at teh server level....

and void again i apprecate your input... however while a standard rlv program even a modified one cannot have this affect... and while i may be new to SL i am not new to net coding and server protocall...and while you may have much more knowlege on rlvs in general and sl itself... i do not feel that qualifys you to say that there is no possible way this couldnt be accomplished in the coding of second life... and until a design lead for second life says so im going to trust in my friend ... thank you for your input once again but if it were simple i think the first LL agent would have figgured it out

LL Viewer 1.x indeed cannot disable the RLV for a simple reason that it is not enabled in the first place. Viewer 1.x does not support an RLV or any part of it and is completely unaware of RLV existence. None of the LL viewers supports the RLV. So if your friend indeed uses Viewer 1.x she cannot possibly have RLV.

An HUD is simply an object that attaches to the viewer screen, instead of an avatar. While it is possible to make such object totally transparent, there is no HUD that will not show in user wearable attachments list and cannot be. I further totally agree with Void that no LL employee would utter anything similar to what you have quoted. All considered, sorry but your posting makes no sense to me whatsoever.

What Frozen has said is very much possible. There is someone in the Cordova Sandbox using this to spam. They wait for you to leave some piece of furniture that you are testing out unwatched, go there, put something that I don't know what it is and when you sit or interact with it again a blue box with some offensive text apears and something about hacking your computer on the upper right. There isn't a "Yes" or "No" option, only options like "FAIL", "U FAIL", "FUK OFF", etc... It also pops up multiple times. After he or she has done this you don't see anymore signs of this and you think :"This is probably some pratical joke right? How would someone hack a computer through an authorized SL viewer?" (using Phoenix by the way). I came across this topic because today while testing something else in the sandbox I was suddenly spammed with multiple boxes asking me to visit an URL (which I declined) and the chat was invaded with messages from me and others about how we were all sheep for using this Sandbox and how LL sucked and that some group was the best. They also tried to get the users they used this on banned with phrases like: "If you report this mule (there wasn't a single mule, only "hacked" users) we have 300 more waiting for tonight.". Encouraging other users to report us when we had no control over our chat (we couldn't even type). Eventually I crashed out of the viewer.

As a new user comming from a previous 3D site this really puts a damper on my first impression of Second Life since I came here after hearing it was better than the pevious site I used and many people are migrating from there to here due to the company becoming negletive of it's costumers, greedy and incopetent. I would really like some help on this issue since this apears to be a major security flaw for new users who might think they have been genuinely hacked or that their accounts are in danger.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, Grotesquely.. welcome to SL and the forums.   I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at the sandbox.   What you describe is a common enough piece of griefing -- it's no great feat of scripting to spam people with dialog boxes, though for obvious reasons I'm not going to discuss how it's done -- and, fortunately, it's easily dealt with.

Phoenix, I think, has a setting to shut down such dialog boxes automatically if they're coming too fast -- maybe someone who uses Phoenix can explain where it is -- but, in general, they should say at the top left hand corner of the dialog box, the name of the owner of the object and the name of the object.

Make a note of that, and mute (called "block" in more recent viewers) both the object and the object's owner.   I'm willing to bet that they've not, in fact, interfered with the object you've been working on, but have placed an invisible prim on top of it, which is what's causing the nuisance.   Muting/blocking them stops them, and items belonging to them, from communicating with you.

Then just file an abuse report about the object and its owner, and carry on ignoring them.   Don't respond to them in any way; that's what they want you do to.

But I have to say that, while what you describe is, unfortunately, very easy for someone to do, what Frozen describes just isn't -- in the way he describes it -- technically possible with LSL or RLV.   I'm not saying he's inventing it, but I am saying that he must have misunderstood something he saw or was told, because it can't have happened the way he describes it, at least not if his friend was using any viewer I've ever heard of.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply. I found the griefer. I would post the name but I don't know what SL's policy is on namedropping so I'll stick to common forum etiquete and not. At this moment I have found out that he is in fact at about 700m (over the height limit I'm guessing and out of report reach). However the other day I found a nifty little hud who allows people to go over said limit (I got it because I sometimes fall out of very high skyboxes and have no way of returning to them). Guess it came in handy in other ways. After filling a report I am waiting at the griefer's skybox entrance for an explanation. I fear that it's a bot since it refuses to answer me in any way. 

This is the text that said user was making other users spam into the chat (in shout format):

"OKAY, LIKE SO TODAY THERE ARE 54 OF US SL SOLDIERS IN THE GAME. WE ARE SPREAD AMONGST THE EVIL SIMS.THE ONES LIKE THIS THAT ARE FULL OF DEGENERATE WASTE OF SKIN AND LINDEN SHEEP WHO FOLLOW THE NAZI LINDEN RULES LIKE DUMB SHEEP AND EVEN NARCK ON THEY FRIENDS LIKE THE UNPAID LINDEN PRIVATE POLICE FARCE! HAWHAWHAWHAW WE COME HERE DAILY TO FUK YOU BECAUSE YOU KEEP COMING BACK LIKE A DUMB SHEEP TO THE SLAUGHTER BITCH! GET A CLUE! REPORT THIS 10 MIN MARTYR ALT AND IT DIES IN FIVE TO TEN MINUTES ANYWAY. THIS MARTYR ALT IS ONE OF OVER 300 I HAVE FOR TONIGHT. YOU R **bleep**ED U LIL BITCHES...HAWAHWHAWAHW

YOU THE OPS OF THIS SIM MUST THINK ABOUT THIS AND REALIZE WE THE MANY HAVE THE POWER TO SIMPLY POST THAT LIKE 30 OF US SHOULD FUK THIS SIM DAILY AND LIL PEOPLE WITH NOTHING TO DO WILL FUK YOU DAILY UNTIL WE SAY TO STOP! DO YOU WANT THIS AND MORE DAILY? SIM CRASHES LAGGING TO EXCESS....IT CAN ALL BE YOURS! NOW GET A **bleep**ING CLUE OR EXPECT THIS DAILY BITCHES!OH YES AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION [name removed] WHO IS ALSO [name removed] AND MANY OTHERS IN REAL LIFE IS NAMED [name removed]! THAT IS RIGHT [name removed] IS [name removed]! HE HAS BEEN TRACKED IN REAL LIFE TO HIS ADDRESS! NOW ALL QUANTUM CORE STUFF IS HALF OFF IN PRICE DIRECTLY FROM US THE SLSOLDIERS! WE SUPPORT NIGHTMARE DENCH AND YOU CAN SLURP OUR BUTT JUICES ALSO!"

Removed names due to protecting whoever this person who they claim to have traced's privacy and of course because I do not know SL's policy on namedropping.

I can no longer report the object however because sadly I clicked it 1-2 days ago. One of the ways I identified this as a result of said object was because although all the other... Vulgar dialect is correctly spelled the word "**bleep**" is always spelled incorrectly. In both the object's blue box and this message.

I'm sorry for being such a handfull in my first few days, and again, thank you.

EDIT: Besides a box asking for permission to animate my avatar, that even though I have declined he still has access to spamming through my chat there is also this blue note in the bottom right corner (I have not clicked the URL within it):

"Load web page http://www.secondlife.com/exploits3464?

For more information on how to prevent these attacks

From object: , owner: Wintermissss?"

The options are either "Go to page" or "Cancel".

At this point, the wise thing to do is find a new sandbox.  SL is a big place and there are plenty of other great places to explore.  I strongly advise against confronting the greifer for three reasons: (1) He has been is SL longer than you have, and knows how to handle himself better, so it's not a fair fight, (2) He loves the attention, so you're just feeding his ego, and (3) a greifer would LOVE to be able to file an Abuse Report against you and get YOU banned from SL.  Just walk away.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.