Why does my microphone literally cut out half of my words?

Robbie Spiritor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why does my microphone literally cut out half of my words?  Tried SL & Win 7 mic volumes/enhancements (dont see any "sensitivity" option) & Max BW 300 still choppy. Statistics FPS is 4 and band with around 50. Speedtest above 4 up and 1.5 down seems to be unavailable in my area. A lot of University students I think capacity is oversold here so they throttle us.

7 answers to this question

(1) Bad microphone wires or switch?

(2) Intermittent Internet connection? (Reboot your router by unplugging it from the power for a few minues.)

(3) Inappropriate MaximumBandwidth setting? [This is the big reason] >>>

Many people set the Maximum Bandwidth slider waaaay too high.  For normal use, a setting of 1,500 or less is best. If you have your Maximum Bandwidth set to allow using most or all of your real bandwidth (the connection speed,) you are telling the simulators to use “the whole pipe, as best they can” to shove geometry, texture and control data back to your viewer. There is a problem with this strategy, though. It doesn’t leave any space for audio, music, video or voice! Remember that those types of traffic are separate from the Maximum Bandwidth control.

In this case, you should try reducing the Maximum Bandwidth, sometimes “mightily”! If you are on, for instance, a connection that provides only 500 kbps of throughput and voice is not working at all, or is very choppy, you may want to try running Maximum Bandwidth at 400, or even 300 kbps. This will make things rez more slowly and movement will be slower, but it may tame the geometry and texture traffic enough to let voice keep the connection live.

(4) WiFi interference?  Many SL residents find wireless connections to be very problematic. They are subject to interference from cell phones, garage door openers, and other electronic devices, and they lose bandwidth to other users.

(5) Other programs on your computer?  E-mail, anti-virus, Microsoft updates, and other routines on your computer that claim some of your Internet service will make voice choppy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.