Why do we have to submit our personal information (credit card) to be able to upload a mesh model ?

Munique Benusconi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why do we have to submit our personal information (credit card) to be able to upload a mesh model ? What i mean is, why do we need to submit it for uploading a model and we don't need it for uploading an image ? It is a mess for who just want to work and improve its skills when we are submited to do something that we are not agreeing with. The truth is that linden lab is trying to change everyone in premium members (but how is that possible) taking what before was a right of everyone and changing it to only premium members rights.

RE: ugh where do i reply the comments ? anyway:

''you need payment information on file'' , i have never been a payment member or bought lindens and i have more then 40k and i think its really rude they pressure us to put our credit card information only for uploading it.

2 answers to this question

I suspect that the reason is partly financial and partly social.  The financial part, as others said, is that mesh costs more to upload than a simple image.  You can run up a big bill very quickly if you are uploading test meshes to the main grid, and LL probably wants to know how you are going to pay for it. 

The social part is just my guess, but I think it's one way for LL to deal with people who might be tempted to upload stolen mesh.  If you have payment information on file, you can't be anonymous.  I know people have been able to upload ripped off image files since Day One, too, but it's too late to go back and make everyone have PIOF (although it would be a great idea). This way they can start with a clean slate and at least minimize mesh theft.

BTW, I agree.  We have complained for a long time about how hard it is for an OP to respond to her own thread here.  You seem to have figured out our clunky system, though.  Congratulations.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.