"Missing required level of detail"

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got the bright idea to make a mesh prim to put shadows on my mesh things instead of a regular prim. So I made a plane, but got the message on upload that there was no mesh in my object.

So I made a box and got the message that it was missing the required level of detail. So I subdivided it, same message.  Anyone know what the required level of detail is?

So, I just exported a plain cube from Blender 2.59 (the version shouldn't matter since you are exporting a static mesh anyway). I didn't do a single thing to it. I just exported it with "export only selected" checked. It uploaded just fine on the latest project mesh viewer (244236).

Btw, press Ctrl + Shift + 4 to get a print out of the log in the viewer.

Note: I tried one with a UV map, and it uploaded fine as well.

Long shot here - would it be anything to do with material mapping?

If you have more than one single material map applied, mayhaps one of the material maps is being excluded in one of the automatically generated LOD meshes. I have encountered this before when I had problems with a smallish material area on my mesh being dropped out in LOD4 (due to triangle reductions, and the problem material only being a smallish area of the mesh). If the number of materials aren't exactly the same for each LOD, the uploader won't accept it.

A sidenote: For your shadow plane (if you aren't doing it already), consider applying a material dedicated to it entirely. For instances where textures use alphas, materials are very handy for separating alpha-textures from the rest of the mesh, and can prevent transparency glitches taking hold.

:matte-motes-smile:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I sent the file to Nacy and she kindly investigated and we think either my 2.6 version of Blender is corrupted or the file is -- I was having a number of other problems with it that I attributed to my lack of knowledge/experience, but it was a mess for Nacy, too. This is the second time I have had a corrupted file -- exporting as object and reimporting into a new file seems to fix it.

Maeve, you wrote

"A sidenote: For your shadow plane (if you aren't doing it already), consider applying a material dedicated to it entirely. For instances where textures use alphas, materials are very handy for separating alpha-textures from the rest of the mesh, and can prevent transparency glitches taking hold."

Could you elaborate on this a wee bit?  It sounds very useful, but I don't think I exactly understand what you mean about the advantage of seperating alphas from the rest of the mesh and how that prevents transparency gitches?  Thanks in advance if you catch this request.

I will answer for Maeve. The glitch only occurs where multiple textures with alpha channels are superimposed in the view, including two parts of the same texture. If any part of a texture has any transparency, the whole texture has to have an alpha channel (it will be 32 bits per pixel). That will cause the whole texture to be subject to the glitch, including those parts that are not transparent. The glitch will appear between different parts oif the same object carrying a single alpha texture. If the transparency containing parts are placed in a separate texture, however, then the texture for the non transparent parts can have no alpha channel (it can be 24 bits per pixel) and will then not be affected by the glitch.

• Like 1

Nacy: Sorry for my delay in responding (I have been without my internetz for the past week or so, bah!) :matte-motes-sour:

Drongle's answer is a good description of my reasonings - and his explanation on the technical issues is far better than I could have worded! Thanks for that Drongle :matte-motes-smile:

In essence, regarding the shadow plane I mentioned - by using a separate material zone for it, it keeps the alpha-texture totally separated from the rest of the mesh. By doing so, the alpha glitching is isolated to the shadow material area... Any other material sections on the mesh, IF they use totally different textures, won't be held hostage to the glitching (assuming they don't contain alpha channels). If you take a texture with any kind of alpha channel included, and apply it to an entire mesh, you will clearly see how the alpha glitching can make a terrible mess of things. So in a case where shadow planes (or any kind of transparency effect) are used in a single mesh, materials can be your best friend!

Plus in this manner, you can have shadow effects WITHOUT needing individual prims dedicated for the effect (ala the old shadow prim concept from the "olden days" of building). So a big plus in PE savings as well.

• Like 1

Maeve Balfour wrote:

[...]

Plus in this manner, you can have shadow effects WITHOUT needing individual prims dedicated for the effect (ala the old shadow prim concept from the "olden days" of building). So a big plus in PE savings as well.

PLUS if the shadow texture is a dedicated one, rather than a shared texture... you can turn it off and on by script. When it's off you have two useless triangles, but that shouldn't be a big problem... There is one small catch though, adding a shadow plane to the mesh will make the object quite a bit larger in some cases, raising the LOD distances which is good, but also adding to the landimpact.

• 2 years later...

i tried makeing a simple house but for some odd reason it gives me the missing required level of detail.There are not any parts that are transparent, all the same wood texture (wanted to see cost before textureing) tho the building is fairly large about 60x40x40 and maybe if the linking has a effect on it then i was not able to link it all together due to parts being to far apart. i hope someone can please help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.