Incorrect balances displayed in viewer.. LL can't be bothered to fix

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27368

Closed, will not finish.

Ridiculous (in my opinion).

Like the mesh deformer project, maybe it needs an ex Linden to fix it and then offer the code back to LL?

Seriously Brooke, this one falls into your remit somewhat since it's largely affected by the introduction of the Marketplace, it's processes around those web transactions, sales, classifieds, enhancements that are happening back end but not being reported to the viewer.

Look at it this way, a merchant looks at their balance and believes they have enough to pay for something, tier maybe.  Meanwhile, behind the scenes in LL webbyland, classifieds and enhancements have deducted money but it's not updated in the viewer.  The merchant pops off to pay their land rent or whatever and *poof*  no money!

Is it really too much to ask that the LL infrastructure sends a message to the LL client software?

Why are financial transactions given such little consideration?

Workaround always says to me, "we have no idea how to fix it to do it the way it's supposed to".  That scares me.

Another point that has not been fixed since the beginning of SL is why transaction records are for 30 days when 1/2 of the months have 31 days.  It does not make it easy to back up records on say, the first of each month when it only reports for 30 days.  It actually should report for 7 years but hey, I'd take 31 days.

Since it's already pinging the system hundreds of times a minute, I cannot see why this would be difficult however, I often say things like this and being in technology, I also understand that many other factors may be involved.

Given that most of the original platform was hacked together open source, many things may be an issue.  The re-write they took years to do with the Electric Sheep and IBM, I thought would have fixed a lot of the original bugs but I guess not.

I have actually found that the viewer in most cases is at fault and not SL itself.  I wonder if this is one of those instances?

One can update the balance by pressing Ctrl-Alt-B or clicking the L$ amount... See: All keyboard shortcut keys (which is out of date for V3).

Since there is an easy work-around for users, they will probably continue working on Direct Delivery, which I would really like to see released.

Other teams in LL triage their backlog of bugs and features and set priorities. Among the projects work is done on the bug/feature list based on priority and available time. Getting the problem of failed deliveries fixed seems a much higher priority to me.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

One can update the balance by pressing Ctrl-Alt-B or clicking the L$ amount... See: 
 (which is out of date for V3).

Since there is an easy work-around for users, they will probably continue working on Direct Delivery, which I would really like to see released.

Yes so speculatively, merchants should be constantly Ctrl Alt B'ing.  It's lazy, nothing less.  It really can't be that hard to couple into the same process that already updates the balance when L$'s are purchased from the LL website, that already notifies the viewer of L$ balance change does it not?

Lazy.  It's a quick win.  As I said, as with the mesh deformer project, it's probably easier to start to leave fixes and updates to 3rd parties and then re-import the code although given that all of the missing balance details are coupled to MP type transactions, it would appear that it's simply a failure to couple the MP web processes to the rest of the system as we experience so often. Can you say EMAIL WHEN REVIEWS LEFT?  I digress.

There's also a workaround for non delivery that doesn't need Direct Delivery.  Just ask the customer to buy again or have the merchant redeliver.  Easy!  There, i've solved the delivery problems the LL way. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.