Viewer 3

Malate Banufong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I heard that Viewer 3 is now no longer beta and is the official SL Viewer. I have tried to find some instructions on how to use it but didnt succeed, so anyone got a link? Also, what is the feedback on how it looks and works?

I have been around a while so I'm still on Viewer 1 simply because I find it doesnt crash so much when crossing sims with vehicles, except for the last few days when I have found everywhere on the grid performing poorly (anyone notice sims going down all over the place over the weekend?). I hope updates this week improve performance.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Hi Malate, here's a link to the latest release notes.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Beta_Viewer/3.0.3

I personally still find it buggy, often very laggy and having too much issues with the alpha layers and the "old" invisiprims. I don't like much not seeing the plants in their pots or loosing part of my prim hair, lol.

I am currently using Firestorm and more than happy with it, as is it a perfect mix of V1 and V2 features.

• Like 2

All viewers are always in beta, I think.  Some of them are just more honest about it than others.  :smileywink:  You'll find that V3 has many features that the viewer you are using now does not, and perhaps is missing some that you have come to love.  You may find that the new viewer lets you do all sorts of cool things that really improve your SL experience. You may also find that all those new features have added enough work that your own computer can't handle them.  Change is like that.  At least you have a choice.  There's really no instruction manual.  Just dive in and discover things.  If you get lost, check the Knowledge Base or the wiki, or come here and ask.

Hello Malate and welcome back to SL. Viewer 3 is really very simple in use and you can do everything very easily and quickly.

1)At first it has 2 modes, the Basic and the Advanced mode. Assuming that you are an old user you can log in Advanced mode where you have more options. You can change the mode, down in your log in screen.

2)About the UI: Down you have important buttons like Speak, Gesture, Move, View, Snapshot, Build, Search, Map and Mini map button. On the right you have the buttons: a)Home. With it you have access in the destination guide, world map, my appearance, linden homes, dashboard, quick start quide and learn the basics b)My profile. Picks there also c)People. Nearby avatars with mini map, friends, group, recent history (im's). d)Landmarks e)Inventory f)My appearance (your outfits).

3)One the top you see a)the Menu Bar (your preferences are under Menu Me). b)Your lindens balance and some other buttons for modes, time, sound. Below you have home button (i), current location button, address bar, add to favorites button,search button. And below your favorites bar.

As other participants already mentioned for everything you need, post back here and ask. Have fun and enjoy your SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.