Forums - Threads - Close after completion ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Monti Messmer wrote:

Maybe just mark them as answered for the OP would prevent people from raising their post count ;-)

Sounds like you may be mixing up the purposes of the Forums, with that of the Answers pages.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Answers/qac-p/Answers

Answers are 'open' until they are 'closed' or resolved. Solutions accepted by askers improve a posters 'reputation' using wizardry.

Forums on the other hand, are for open discussion. Hence the name.

Void is right, you can not 'close' a thread so it can not be added to.

In the Answers section, the OP can mark a response as correct, but that does not close the question. I seem to remember that it was possible to mark replies as the correct answer in one or two of the forums (don't remember which one(s)) in the beginning after LL swapped to the Lithium platform, but I don't know if this is still possible. I don't think so. Threads would probably not be closed even if marked as answered.

- Luc -

Make sure that you post your questions in the Answers forum.  Once someone posts a correct answer, mark it as correct and others may stop posting answers unless they are adding to whatever was already posted.

If you post a question outside of the Answers forum, the thread remains open.  There is nothing wrong with this. It is not your responsibility to monitor a thread you started and are no longer interested in it.

You can ask a moderator to lock a thread that you started, so I've been told and have seen in action... I've never done it myself.  Personally I see no reason to lock a thread, other than serious derailments and some instances where a thread has devolved into nothing but a flame war.

If you just aren't interested in a thread anymore then simply ignore it.  If you're subscribed to it, unsubscribe and be done with it... you never know who might have a similar issue that would benefit them to post a reply there, even if it's months later... I've seen that happen as well.

...Dres

Locking a thread you started just because you think the  thread has run its course or it no longer interests you are not, IMHO, good enough reasons for locking it.  Locking a thread should be done very sparingly and only if the moderator feels the conversation has gotten too heated and is in 'danger' of flying off the community guidelines cliff.

Asking for a lock is d-r-a-m-a (particularly when you post that you will get it locked). 

Venus Petrov wrote:

Locking a thread you started just because you think the  thread has run its course or it no longer interests you are not, IMHO, good enough reasons for locking it.  Locking a thread should be done very sparingly and only if the moderator feels the conversation has gotten too heated and is in 'danger' of flying off the community guidelines cliff.

Asking for a lock is d-r-a-m-a (particularly when you post that you will get it locked). 

My thoughts exactly.

@Void: My thoughts exactly.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.