photography what settings to use

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok ive recently started having a go at photography in s/l and have a few questions to ask?

firstly i'll give you my PC specifications :-

currently using windows xp sp3

AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 3600+

2 Gb ram and NVIDIA Ge force gt 430 graphics card

the main thing puzzling me is screen resolution, what should it be set on my PC to get good quality pictures and how do i go about taking full body shots as these allways seem to come out very small?

i also get a blurry effect to my pictures when i uplaod to s/l ! what is the best size for pictures to be saved when using as a profile picture?

also does anyone offer course on photography i done the basic one at cambridge but was looking for something a little more advanced....

any help wouyld be greatly appreciated

thanks Amethsyt

I used to have the same problem too. For taking body shots what I prefer to do is take the picture and edit it. While editing zoom in the picture. After zooming in just select the particular section of the picture you would like to focus on. Eg just zoom around 20% and then select the picture.. then save it as a new pic and there you go.. a good close up of the body.

Presuming that you use phoenix go for the custom size .. the size of your monitor screen.If you want contact me inworld.. I aint a guru but I will try my best to help you :)

This is true for almost anyone

Resolution: as high as your PC will handle

then, use the snapshot tool with the Save to Disk option

keep Aspect Ration checked and type in a value. the other will adapt to it

See how high you can go without crashing - I go 6016x3227 because SL won't let me go higher.

picture sizes here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Aspect_ratio#Textures

• 1 month later...

The point of highest possible image size for snapshots has to do with flexibility after the in-world shoot. Once I have an image in photoshop, what happens if I want to crop a medium or even a face closeup from a full body shot? If I have an image just the resolution of my screen, I'll end up with a very low resolution cropped image. Whereas, if I have a huge resolution image to start with, then crop to just the face, I still have an image that is larger than the 1024x1024 maximum image size of SL. 

Start big and you won't have to call the model back for a reshoot.

PS: film is cheap in SL... take LOTS of snaps while in a photoshoot... snap snap snap snap..... I'll routinely take 80 to 100 snaps in one model's photoshoot (saved to disk of course).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.