SL been logging me out saying it cant find my internet connection

Youkina Zeminoba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

If you have rebooted your router and modem as Peggy suggested in answer to your previous post  (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/SL-logging-me-out/qaq-p/1164163) and are no longer using wireless, and you are still having trouble, the next thing to try is reassigning the DNS settings you have been using.  I suggest using the Google public DNS servers instead of the ones that your ISP has assigned you by default.  You can learn how to do this by reading here >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html .  

If that doesn't solve your problem, you'll need to look at your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) to see whether you have excessive packet loss (greater thn 0.1%) or a high Ping Sim rate (greater than about 100).  Given the results of things we have already suggested, a high reading on either of hose may indicate either that your router is failing or that your ISP is having trouble.

Incidentally, if you need to come back and add further information or ask for more help, do NOT open yet another question.  Just add information to this one by clicking the Options link in its upper right corner and selecting EDIT.

• Like 1

I did say routers and modems are pretty "bullet proof".  However they do fail (as everything electronic) eventually.  An easy test to see of your router has failed or is failing is to by-pass it.  Connect your Ethernet cable directly to your modem.  If things work then go a get a new router (Vizio makes one and it's a very good one if you are in the market for a new one.  I don't know if it's sold outside the US so if you are not in the US, you might be missing out on a fantastic router for the money).  Testing your modem is a little harder, but if you are leasing (or renting) your modem from your ISP you can exchange it to see.

Ping and packet loss are the next most common causes for lost connections.  Try testing your connection here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Run the speed test to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX.  Your upload speed should be close to the speed your ISP says you are paying for........80% is probably about what most people get.  If you are not getting about 3/4 of what you were told by your ISP then call them and find out why.  Run the Ping Test too.  There's very little you can do about latency (what the Ping test gives you) since that has a lot to do with how far you are from LL's servers.........if you're in Europe or Asia, you're going to see higher than desirable pings (anything under about 400 should let you stay connected........the lower the better though).  Look at the packet loss that will be one of the test when you run the Ping Test.  If you see anything greater than 2% you are going to have trouble with lots of stuff........staying connected is one.  The problem with packet loss is that it depends on where it's occuring if you can fix it or not.  Most of the time packet loss occurs somewhere along the route to and from your computer and LL's servers......you can call your ISP to make sure the packet loss is not between you and their servers (they can fix that for you).  The other places packet loss happen is at your computer (look at your network card for that fix) and at the SL servers..........LL can fix that.  But, by far, the most common area packet loss occurs is in the Internet.  Only the people who maintain the servers, cables and uplinks the make up the Internet can fix that........the saving factor about that is that the people know pretty quickly that something is happening and they fix the problems about as fast as can be expected.  Packet loss on the Internet is usually very short lived..........it will be cleared in a few hours (maybe a couple days at worse).

A friend of mine keeps being logged out of SL, after 3/4 minutes.using both the SL Veiwer and Pheonix Viewer. With her own PC. Her ISP is ORANGE here in the UK. The tech guys at Orange, insist it is not their fault. But when I have taken my own PC to her location, and connected my PC to her ISP, SL logs me out after 3/4 minutes. Yet when i connect my own PC back home to my own ISP, (Not Orange) I can access SL perfectly ok. I am at a loss to help her. Can anyone offer any help? thanks Blandford.,

It may not be her ISP, but it certainly sounds like a hardware problem at her location. My bet would be the router. As Peggy says, the easy way to tell is to plug her computer directly into the modem, bypassing the router completely. If it works fine, you know the router is bad and needs servicing or replacing. If it still gives her problems, then the ISP really does need to test its cables near her location.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.