Would it be better to use an alt for building?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My alt wants to know... Sometimes i need some "alone time" for building or working on photoshop while i am logged in. And theres always a few people who want to talk or hang with me. But i dont want to be rude, so i stop working on my project and spend time with them.

But i need time to concentrate on my work too sometimes. Should i use an alt that nobody knows about? Just for making things? Or how would other Builders/designers handle it? I am sure they want to be able to enjoy SL too and have fun sometimes...

You could set your status to "Busy."  Of course, if you do that you will fail to receive anything that someone sends while you are unavailable.  My own solution is to log in to do work at non-standard hours when other people are at work or asleep.  It's either that or just reply to their IM's with a short one-liner, "Sorry.  I'm busy.  Can I call you back later?"  Most people understand.  You just need to decide how you want to set priorities and who manages your time in SL.

• Like 1

My preference is to simply go into busy mode or leave an IM message that I'm busy working & will get back when I can. 

Most of my friends & customers respect my wishes. I am usually not interrupted unless it is something very important.

I have alts for building but use them for testing etc. The reason I would not want to use an alt for building would be the creators name as someone else has mentioned.

If I get an IM or a visit while I'm working, I just tell the person I'm busy.  It's never a big deal.

This is no different than when you get a phone call at an importune time in RL.  It's never a problem just to say, "Hey, I'd love to talk to you, but I've got something else going on right now.  How about giving me a shout in a couple hours?"

If someone takes offense to that, they're out of their mind, and it's probably not in your best interest to associate with them anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.