It is possible to promote my products through this forum?

Erika Delbonnel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When there was XStreetSL I could promote my new product through their forum. After the change to Marketplace, I could not found a place to publicize my designs. I wonder if this is possible by this forum or if there is another place to promote them, apart from the Marketplace itself.

Thanks

Hi Erika,

Except for post signatures, there is absolutely no space given to promote your new creations here... quite unlike the old Xstreet site. Any mention a creator dares to make of their new product for sale will be more aggressively moderated out then the endless daily spam we receive to watch random TV shows. Its a shame, as both merchants and customers enjoyed having this live product feed.

Strangely enough, it is not just a simple oversight by Lindens. A "New Products" forum has been requested to Lindens again & again, yet remains a denied function -- intentionally & noticably absent. One has to wonder why this is left out?

Anyways, if you look around the web for SL related sites (I can't link them here, its against site rules), there is plenty of places around where you have complete freedom to talk about your new products... or you can blog about it.

• Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.
Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Discussion_guidelines

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

• Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising
    : Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion.
    No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services
    , unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.
Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business.

Except that there are plenty of threads where posters promote favorite merchants all the time (eg Where are the best skins? ). LL is not known for consistancy but I think the rules should apply across the board or not at all. If someone can get a couple of alts to ask and answer the question of where the best X is, then the rest of us should be able to post new products.

While it's true that people do make recommendations when others ask for them, I don't know if that really qualifies as "advertising" or "promotion" very often. Should those threads be moved to the Wanted section, anyway? Probably.

Yes, I've seen threads where someone writes a glowing review of someone's products, and the alts all pop on to add theirs. Those are fairly easy to spot, though, and they usually get called out and the thread pulled, too.

Keep after LL to bring the new products forum back. Maybe they'll eventually get tired of saying "No." :smileywink:

A recent favourite method has been to pretend you have suddenly lost your wits and the ability to think up a price along with them, and make a post asking others for help pricing your new thingy.

It is strange really that the much heralded New Marketplace was supposed to offer new marketing opportunities, this apparently meant...

Getting rid of the new products forum

Removing Banner Ads completely

Reducing the exposure time of featured Ads

Removing BB code so no links or linked images in listings

Reducing the number and size of pictures for each product

Removing animated Gifs from main Images

Constantly fiddling with search

C'mon LL we are just trying to make you more cash!!!!

Thank you all for your responses. I did not expect so many replies to my query.
I must admit that I don't had high hopes for  promote my products in the forum. I also I have the feeling that LL seeks to make more profit for them, deleting a forum about new products, forced us to pay for those highlighted in marketplace.

I hope someday they discover that is not funny when only They wins with the game.

Again, thank you.

banner.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.