Which NVIDIA 500 Series graphics cards will run SL at 1920x1200 in ultra mode?

Don Roodborst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Which NVIDIA 500 Series graphics cards will run SL at 1920x1200 in ultra mode at 30 fps or greater?

My LCD monitor runs at 60 Hz and I have it set for 32-bit color. I run Windows 7 Home Premium on an AMD Phenom II quad core with 8 GBs RAM. I have a DSL connection that provides a download speed of about 1 Mbps. I currently have a NVIDIA GTX 285 with a GB of memory on it.

I can run the game on high graphics using SL Viewer 3.03, but if I attempt ultra graphics, my frame rate goes down to about 12 fps. I don't want to upgrade my video card, if the primary limiter of how well game performs for me is my internet connection, rather than my video hardware.

Informative Nvidia relative performance chart:  http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-580/performance

Thanks for the info and feedback everyone.

Don Roodborst

3 answers to this question

I wanna say "Yes, its your grapics card",but at same time it could be internet... I not sure. I never really wanted the ultra grapics to run even though it looks nicer... So I thinking your grapics can only handly high atm... :(

Don't take my word for it I not 100% on that

The GTX 285 was almost top-of-the-line when it was released so although the 500 series is newer I don't think you'd get noticably better performance even from the 590 - certainly not three times better.  Unless someone comes along with better information I'd save the money.

However, connection speed should only be a limiter while new-region data is downloading.  Once you've been in an area for a while things should settle down (my connection often ticks-over at under 50kps while I'm at home).

'Ultra' mode covers a lot of different things though, of course.  Have you tried adjusting the individual settings to see where the performance hit is incurred?  Shadow is the most obvious, along with draw-distance.  In some places reducing the max particles can have a significant effect too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.