Gamers Crack the AIDS Enzyme

Melita Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

TED? OSC?  No idea what you're talking about

Peter, OSC is Orson Scott Card, a science fiction author. I'd not known of him until just now Googling "osc ender alvin".

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design. It's a non-profit organization that hosts speakers on a wide variety of subjects and makes their talks available for free online at TED.com. I highly recommend it.

Void Singer wrote:

so far I've read both the major series, and am halfway through the homecoming novels... I've missed most of the short stories though, and apprrently he put out 2 more Ender books since I last picked those up.... my reading backlog seems to get longer every year....

Here's a more obscure one that I recommend, it's an anthology of OSC short stories called "Folk of the Fringe".   It's interesting from the Morman aspect infused into the stories, and reminds be a little of "Canticle for Leibowitz".

A several years ago I corresponded with a woman who lives in NY...and she wanted to start a Church...based upon "Crafting".  She was an avid crafter and felt that there were religious similarities to someone that crafts, or creates, and the spirituality that religions have.   

I had just read my first few Alvin Maker stories...so I told encouraged her to utilize the "maker" aspect, and do research as to what it would take to form a church.  I was curious as to how it would pan out, and I signed up for her email list.   Well, long story short...I now get regular emails from the Church of the Craft...the main branch located in NY..and happily check out the website where the COC has grown to other locations around the country.  Which is the closest I get to a church.   *laughing*

http://churchofcraft.org/

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Here's a more obscure one that I recommend, it's an anthology of OSC short stories called "Folk of the Fringe".   It's interesting from the Morman aspect infused into the stories, and reminds be a little of "Canticle for Leibowitz".

A several years ago I corresponded with a woman who lives in NY...and she wanted to start a Church...based upon "Crafting".  She was an avid crafter and felt that there were religious similarities to someone that crafts, or creates, and the spirituality that religions have.   

I was curious as to how it would pan out, and I signed up for her email list.   Well, long story short...I now get regular emails from the Church of the Craft...the main branch located in NY..and happily check out the website where the COC has grown to other locations around the country.  Which is the closest I get to a church.   *laughing*

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that at least two of the 'other locations' are in my home state. One's even within driving distance! Our reputation is, I supposed, deserved.

But the best part of your post was the book. Haven't seen a reference to 'A Canticle For Leibowitz' in years. I read it again not too many years ago; still just as good.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Celestiall Nightfire wrote: "and reminds be a little of "Canticle for Leibowitz"."

------------------------------------------------------

Superb novel. Reminds me of
Doctor Mirabilis
, by James Blish

I read Canticle back in college, it's faded into the mists, but I know I read it all in one go. That doesn't happen often.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I was curious as to how it would pan out, and I signed up for her email list.   Well, long story short...I now get regular emails from the Church of the Craft...the main branch located in NY..and happily check out the website where the COC has grown to other locations around the country.  Which is the closest I get to a church.   *laughing*

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that at least two of the 'other locations' are in my home state. One's even within driving distance! Our reputation is, I supposed, deserved.

But the best part of your post was the book. Haven't seen a reference to 'A Canticle For Leibowitz' in years. I read it again not too many years ago; still just as good.

I too read Canticle and should re-read it someday.

Church of Craft reminds me of SL, the only place where "Intelligent Design" is in evidence for me. I know quite a few people here who share a kinship through the shared experience of creating and through sharing their creations with others. I do sometimes feel like I'm crawling around inside someone's head when I visit a sim. It's a neat feeling.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Superb novel. Reminds me of
Doctor Mirabilis
, by James Blish

Ahh, something to add to my list.  Thanks. 

I picked up on that too. When I saw James Blish I immediately recalled the Cities in Flight. "IMT made the sky...FALL!". But I have not seen 'Doctor Mirabilis'. Something for my list, too.

There once was a science fiction souvenir store called Interstellar Master Traders, btw. They were somewhere in Florida. I have a Gold Card from them somewhere. They had all kinds of stuff from way back to current. The one I coveted but never would spend the money for was a "War of the Worlds" (no, not Tom Cruise, the real one) Martian flyer. Supposedly an actual model from the movie. I still hate the fact I didn't get it.

"IMT made the sky...FALL!"

---------------------------------------------

Cities in Flight was pure genius. Who can ever forget a name like Crispin deFord? Pay particular attention to the publication date, which explains why germanium instead of silicon is the basis of the currency.

Doctor Mirabilis is the first part of a larger book called After Such Knowledge.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Speaking of publication dates, has anyone ever noticed the date of John Galt's big speech? It's damn peculiar. I've always wondered if there was a link.

You've got me there. All I knew about John Galt was that the name sounded familiar. I was right; I'd read the book (and others of hers) but a zillion years ago. Google has availed me nothing. I did find that she based much on a start date of September 2nd, which leads me to believe the 'speech' was on a day I do not enjoy remembering. Is that the one?

Crispin deFord notwithstanding, Amalfi is the Man Who Counts. I can feel the rumble of the spindizzies now.

ETA: I got thinking about my capitalized bit; when I wrote it I was thinking of James Blish. But in fact that title (The Man Who Counts) was the original title of a Poul Anderson story about one of his best characters: Nicholas van Rijn. I haven't read either of those in quite some time but my recollection is that Mayor Amalfi and Nicholas van Rijn had a great many things in common.

I haven't talked this much science fiction in I don't know how long. We've completely taken Melita's thread off the rails, but the point of it was made early on so I don't feel too bad about that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.