Revoking Permissions

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK...I had a friend help me with several experiments regarding revoking permissions of this band this morning.  Here are our findings:

1)  When the sub is in an animation, there is no Stand button for them to stop the animation.  So "Revoke On Stand" did not work.

2)  To try "Revoke On Sit", I rezzed a chair, put him into an animation and he tried to sit in it.  Sitting in the chair overrode the band animation and the sit animation in the chair worked.  Standing from the chair did NOT put him back in the band animation, however, I was able to immediately put him back in the bands animation simply by clicking the animation button in the band manu.

3)  Next, I put him into an animation and he sat in the chair again to activate the chairs animation.  I then clicked the bands animation and it overrode the chairs animation and put him back into the animation I selected.  Once I put him in the band animation, the Stand option disappeared from his screen.

4)  Revoke on Stand and Sit did NOT revoke the permissions of the band

5)  I had him mute me and then I tried to animate him again.  The animation worked without a flaw.  Muting the owner does NOT work

6)  Next I teleported to another sim and tried to use the band.  I got an error message indicating that the sub could not be found and had to be within 96m of the Master.  Then I teleported back to him and tried to animate him again.  The animation worked flawlesly.  Trying to use the band on a different sim as the sub did NOT break the script.

7)  Next we tried "Stop Animating My Avatar" in Phoenix.  I put him in an animation and he used the stop.  It actually did stop the animation from running!  However, I clicked the animation again in the band's menu and he went right back into the animation as before.

8) In Phoenix (and I assume Firestorm) there is an animation explorer in the World menu.  In that explorer is a list of currently running animations with the option to "Stop and Revoke Permissions."  I put him in an animation, he used that option and sure enough, the animation stopped.  However, when I clicked the animation in the band menu again, he went back into the animation as before.  "Stop and Revoke" did NOT revoke the permissions of the band.

9)  Next I put him into an animation and had him teleport to a different sim.  The animation did NOT stop when he got to the other sim nor did it stop when he got back.  Teleporting does NOT stop the animation.

My final conclusions:  While there are things that will make the running animation stop, NONE of them revoke the permissions of the band and the owner of the band can, at any time, start the animation again. 

If anybody can think of anything else, please let me know and I'll try it.  I just couldn't think of anything else to try.

On EDIT:  Just an FYI - My friend was NOT running RLV during these tests.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

The 96m disqualifier is an odd one since it's not necessary for permissions calls, but IS necessary for sensors.

What happens if you're both on adjoining sims (but within that range)? Does it work?

Good question, Freya.  I don't know.  We didn't try that.  I'll attempt it when he logs back on and let ya know.

I thought it looked a bit odd, but maybe it's to avoid breaking the permissions by trying to animate someone who's not on the same sim -- that is, if you can't find them, don't try to animate them.    

If that's the reason, I realise there's a better way of doing it (test for llGetAgentSize), but I can't think why else the 96 meters restriction is there.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

The 96m disqualifier is an odd one since it's not necessary for permissions calls, but IS necessary for sensors.

What happens if you're both on adjoining sims (but within that range)? Does it work?

OK...my buddy logged back on and we went to adjacent sims, but within 96m of each other.  In fact, within chat distance.  When I tried to use the band I got the message that he couldn't be found and he must be within 96m of me again.  So, the band does NOT work across sim lines.  So, the sub must be on the same sim and within 96m for the band to work. 

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

OK...my buddy logged back on and we went to adjacent sims, but within 96m of each other.  In fact, within chat distance.  When I tried to use the band I got the message that he couldn't be found and he must be within 96m of me again.  So, the band does NOT work across sim lines.  So, the sub must be on the same sim and within 96m for the band to work. 

Thank you very much for all your time and effort on this.

To be clear, I would never have a problem with someone KNOWINGLY agreeing to the Masters Band.  Yesterday, in the Open Collar Chatter Group a girl was asking how she could delete the "runaway" option in her Collar.  Maybe I should have told her about the Master's Band if she was that serious about it.  

Still, while I may support someone's right to submit like this, I don't think that  my concern about the potential misuse is misplaced.  I am still shocked that it hasn't been to my knowledge exploited more. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

To be clear, I would never have a problem with someone KNOWINGLY agreeing to the Masters Band.  Yesterday, in the Open Collar Chatter Group a girl was asking how she could delete the "runaway" option in her Collar.  Maybe I should have told her about the Master's Band if she was that serious about it.  

Still, while I may support someone's right to submit like this, I don't think that  my concern about the potential misuse is misplaced.  I am still shocked that it hasn't been to my knowledge exploited more. 

Personally, I think the band is relatively unknown.  I only know of one other person who owns one and I haven't seen him use it in forever.  You're right though, Perrie.  Misusing such a device could be easy.  Mine is back in mothballs now and I have no intention of using it again (I removed the friend that helped me with the testing as soon as we completed it). 

As far as removing the Runaway function from the open collar, that function becomes deactivated if the Dom puts his avatar code into the collar script and gives it to his sub to wear and then subsequently locks the collar.  I had my avatar code in both my boys' collars to make sure they couldn't run away.  *grins*  Once I released them and unlocked their collars, they had to put another collar on and use IT to clear me as their Dom. 

to get an accurate read, you need to replicate the revocation tests when the band is unattached. unfortunately, due to the method it's scripted with, there's no effective way to test the region boundry with that item... which is probably why it was designed with that limit....

everything else agrees with current known behaviors (mute doesn't work, animations don't stop when leaving a region AFTER they are started, stop animating only stops animations not permissions)

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Personally, I think the band is relatively unknown.  I only know of one other person who owns one and I haven't seen him use it in forever.  You're right though, Perrie.  Misusing such a device could be easy.  Mine is back in mothballs now and I have no intention of using it again (I removed the friend that helped me with the testing as soon as we completed it). 

As far as removing the Runaway function from the open collar, that function becomes deactivated if the Dom puts his avatar code into the collar script and gives it to his sub to wear and then subsequently locks the collar. 
I had my avatar code in both my boys' collars to make sure they couldn't run away.  *grins*  Once I released them and unlocked their collars, they had to put another collar on and use IT to clear me as their Dom. 

Gads, I don't want this thread to inadvertently turn in to a tutorial for wannabe griefers, but I am curios if doing this disables the ability to take off the collar with RLV disabled?

As far as how many people use or have the Master's Band, I would think that the majority of users would keep that piece of information to themselves.

No, the only way to stop someone taking off an item is to make it undetachable using RLV.   If you log on with a non-RLV viewer, then existing RLV restrictions stop having any effect and you can take stuff off in the normal way.

What you could do with an Open Collar, and what I imagine Marcus did, is disable the "runaway" command, which, under normal circumstances, lets you remove your master or mistress, along with any RLV restrictions, and return it to the default settings regardless of any restrictions you may be under.

• 2 months later...

Although there seems to be no actual solution to this there is a pretty good workaround. In Firestorm Avatar / Preferences / Firestorm / Protection Revoke Permissions Sit and Stand. Not sure about other viewers. The downside of this is that it will prevent any object you do not own to animate you including dance balls etc. It still allows your collar with RLV to animate. So if you find yourself in a situation with nasty Avie that has control of you just Revoke Permissions, and remember to allow later. You can also select Avatar / Avatar Health / Stop Avatar Animations. That will temporarily take you off the control but you can be put back into it right away. It is good way however to let the other person you do not appreciate this before taking more drastic action.

This issue has got nothing to do with RLV and as has been said before, the phoenix options won't help at all. Revoke on sit or stand will revoke the permissions granted by the object you sit on I suspect, I don't see how that would ever communicate with a script owned by someone who isn't around.

The object or script causing the forced animations works by dialog, so the only way to prevent it is not accepting hugs or kisses or whatever. Once granted, the permissions will stay until the script is reset.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.