Shot myself out of a cannon and now can't get SL to load. Even uninstalled and reinstalled.

Adner Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The cannon was positioned on a hilltop near a nube spot (that's me).  It was labeled something like really fun cannon.  I don't remember the spot name.  When I shot my Avatar out of it I lost control of the AV and had to bail on SL.  Since then I have not been able to get SL to finish loading.  Just gets so far and stalls.  Any help?  And can someone find that cannon and shoot it?  Thanks.

I deleted the SL dirs mentioned by Rolig.  Uninstalled SL, reinstalled, and rebooted.  Still no joy.  When I try to load I get as far as a box in the center of the screen that says "Initializing VFS".  That just stays there and gets messed up if another window goes over it.  ???

4 answers to this question

The cannon was positioned on a hilltop near a nube spot (that's me).  It was labeled something like really fun cannon.  I don't remember the spot name.  When I shot my Avatar out of it I lost control of the AV and had to bail on SL.  Since then I have not been able to get SL to finish loading.  Just gets so far and stalls.  Any help?  And can someone find that cannon and shoot it?  Thanks.

I deleted the SL dirs mentioned by Rolig.  Uninstalled SL, reinstalled, and rebooted.  Still no joy.  When I try to load I get as far as a box in the center of the screen that says "Initializing VFS".  That just stays there and gets messed up if another window goes over it.  ???

LOL ....  That cannon is a common toy in many places around SL.  It's harmless.  I suspect that your login problem is purely coincidental, at least as far as the cannon is concerned.  You may have done something odd as you bailed, though, and borked your viewer.  Without any information about what kind of error message you get when it "stalls", I can't tell exactly what's wrong.  Probably the easiest solution, though, is to simply do a clean re-install of the viewer. Reinstalling on top of what's there now may mean that the new installation inherits whatever is wrong with the current one, so ......

(1) Find the subfolder that the viewer's exe file is in (probably in the /Programs directory on your C: drive) and delete it.

(2) Find the folder where your user settings are stored (look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data), and delete it.

(3) Find the folder where your viewer's local settings are stored (look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data ), and delete it.

(4) Reinstall a fresh copy of your viewer.

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Adner.

Forgive me for laughing at your plight. As Rolig says, it probably is just a coincidence that you haven't been able to log back in since shooting yourself out of a cannon.

I have lost count of the number of times I have shot myself out of things, fallen from great height, been bumped, ejected, assaulted by scripted things in SL, and still I'm here to tell the tale, although I have killed a couple of graphics cards in the process of living my SLife to the "full" ! :matte-motes-silly:

When your viewer stalls, what do you mean exactly? Does it go into "not responding" and fade on your screen?  Or does it close itself down? Or does it give you an error message? 

You can add more information to this thread by clicking on "options" at the top right hand side of your original post and "edit" it.

Lots of luck to you.

Hello Adner and welcome to SL Forums.  Your problem will get fixed if you clear your cache manually. It's no necessary (for my opinion) uninstall / reinstall) because if you don't delete all contests into the folders Rolig reported, you will have again the same issue:

(XP) - C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME) - Application Data \ SecondLife and
C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life

(Vista) and (Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and
C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

Log out and delete everything in those folders and restart first your computer and after the program. Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)

If you have more that 1 viewers installed in your computer, you must to do it for all following the same paths in your hard disk.

For example C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

After that log in back in a protected land like Smith or Lime for example.

(Have in your mind that if you clear your cache manually you will lose all your private conversations which are saved in your computer. To avoid it copy the folder with your username in the folder Secondlife in another position in your hard disk.)

Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.