Sympathy for the Forum Troll!

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

He is not sneaky about it.  Not at all!  He enters a thread and, with a story or a turn of phrase, can cause us to erupt in fits of laughter, clutching our sides,  OR slap our foreheads and groan.   He cannot help himself--it is his nature.  He, or she,  was born this way.   Unlike many, he embraces his inner troll.  Yes, there are many trolls here.  For some, you might need to think twice, but they are HERE! 

Who trolls for mice?  Who for cheese?  Who for peace?  Who for proper grammar?   Who for the lolz?  See!  You know them..and love them!

What is not to love about the troll?  He is often misunderstood but he seeks only to make you laugh and, often, laugh at him.  His approach to life is 'fun'!  What is not to love about fun?

Yes, the traditional definition of troll is rather negative.  Disrupt.  Provoke.  Flame!   But there is the troll who disrupts delightfully.  He provokes by poking at himself.  He flames...himself!  In fact, he may agree with someone flaming him.  This is the harmless, happy troll.

We should applaud our happy trolls for the humor they bring us.   There is enough in our lives we should take seriously.   But, the happy, harmless troll?  Let him be.  The life of a forum troll cannot be an easy road to hoe...or is that ho?  No, that is subject for a different OP.

Hooray for our happy trolls!

Void wrote the below in a different thread, I thought it applied here.

"The intent of all art (to my thinking) is to provoke a specific reaction... athough I agree that sometimes that also requires knowing the context of the art to accurately judge the intent, there is also interesting possibilities in seeing the types of reactions and whether they differ from the expectation, it's still always about generating some response.

However if the response that one is trying to generate is one which causes discomfort then the appropriate venue is one of more controlled context.... the more discomforting, the more controlled the context for presentation should be, at least if one expects to get a thoughtful response as opposed to summary dismissal.

But art being what it is, those lines are a bit fuzzy, and often stretched to their limits... and some seek to make the reaction stronger, by placing it completely outside of it's normal context... shock and awe as it were. among those artists that do so it's understood that the reaction can have serious consequences though, and is accepted even if the artist tries to minimize the impact."

And that's all I have to say about trolls.

Venus Petrov wrote:

The life of a forum troll cannot be an easy road to hoe...or is that ho?  No, that is subject for a different OP.

Hooray for our happy trolls!

[grammar troll mode]

I believe you are looking for "not an easy row to hoe," which is in reference to horticulture.  The row being a linear raised mound of dirt bordered on either side by a furrow, which is a linear area of removed dirt, and the hoe being the hand tool used to form the rows and furrows.  On the other hand, I suppose in areas outside of Zindra, a streetwalker attempting to ply one's trade "cannot be an easy road to Ho," in light of certain TOS requirments and community standards, etc. 

Cultivation though, can be rewarding, in either instance. 

[/grammar troll mode]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.